8.1.1 battery very unreliable

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by martinocando, Nov 6, 2014.

1. martinocando macrumors regular

martinocando

Upon loading 8.1.1 on my 5s, I was very happy, since I got over 17 hours worth of battery the first day. But today, I woke up at 430am, and at noon I was down to 9%. 8 hours???? Really?

I don't understand why battery usage is so weird. I'll do a reboot and will update this thread on my findings for the following days.

2. Hankmac, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

Hankmac macrumors member

Hankmac

Turn off "Motion Calibration" if it's on.
    AppleCare couldn't tell me what it does and when it's necessary but my battery life improved with it off.
    Hank

3. martinocando thread starter macrumors regular

martinocando

Done. Lets see how it improves in my case. Thanks for the tip :cool:

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

5. martinocando thread starter macrumors regular

martinocando

8.1.1 is "supposed" to be a stability beta, since no new functionality is being tested, and that is how they advertised it. So, I expected better stability, device wise, that includes battery life.

Quoting MacRumors: ..."According to Apple's release notes, iOS 8.1.1 includes bug fixes and increased stability and performance improvements"...
    http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/03/apple-releases-ios-8-1-1-beta/

And the battery behavior have been like that since 8.0.2, at least for me.

I have my hopes that is a thing of the first few days, and I'll get more reliable battery life in the future.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, to be fair stability isn't necessarily related to battery life really. Also, since it is a beta there might still be issues with it, meaning that even if it's there to address stability and performance issues not everything might be in it already as it's a beta still and/or there might be some issues with those improvements themselves in the beta.

7. martinocando thread starter macrumors regular

martinocando

Stability, for me, is everything that makes the whole usability experience a rewarding one. Having 14 hours of battery life one day, and 7 hours the next, is not stability. I want to expect a similar battery life day after day, until the battery wears out, but is something that takes time, and is progressive.

Again, at least in my book. Yours might differ.

8. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

That description is what Apple is aiming to do for the final version, even with performance improvements beta-exclusive background tasks can decrease performance and battery. The final version is the stable version, beta versions are not.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You are leaving out a key component.

Cell Tower signal strength.

Since signal strength varies depending on where you are so will battery life.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

I can certainly understand what it can be for various people, I'm just mentioning that inany circumstances and circles it can and often does carry a somewhat more limited meaning.

11. sziehr macrumors 6502a

I am starting to wonder if they should just start randomly capturing phones from the field data intact and debug them to get some honest real world data.

I mean i know it bug reports and sends back messages but every single release just really feels like they are grasping at straws.

I also kinda feel two groups are working here. The old IOS guys and the surge team for when new releases are in progress.

There are just so many holes that by this point in other releases at this level of revision firmware are patched up and back to smooth.

I know it was a huge update and many changes under the hood. If you can not hit the mark with the data set in hand then get your hands on some real world messy phones and see how it reacts to your code cause that is how million and millions of users are going to interact with it on a messy semi full device.

Sorry for the rant but it just seems apple is playing whack-a-mole way more than they once were. I mean just when they fix one thing they go and break a whole new thing or they fix things and kill battery life due to non-optiomal code implementation. I know we love to blame apps and i truly believe that is more than half of users issues poor developers and there code but apple is at fault on so many occasions.

Sorry to hijack but this is like the 10th thread i have seen with these questions and comparisons. I fault no one for saying how it feels but either we are in a vacuum here IE apple does not troll here or does not care or they are not getting the message and the data they need to fix it.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

These forums do not represent the majority of the population. After all, who joins a forum to post a "my battery life is great!" thread?

You also have to take into consideration some users on these forums have OCD. They do nothing but obsess over their phones instead of just using them

"it dropped 1% while I was watching!".

13. load97 macrumors member

load97

You have no facts to back up "These forums do not represent the majority of the population."

I've also seen threads/posts of people saying how great their battery life is.

Let's keep it factual & help the OP.

14. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Yes let's. This is a beta version and is it to be used by developers to test THEIR apps!!!!!!! He took the risk knowing full well what could happen by using it. So he should stop complaining.

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Social science says most people will voice a negative opinion before a positive one. Just a fact of life.

16. martinocando thread starter macrumors regular

martinocando

I'm not complaining on the battery life solely of 8.1.1. I've been having battery issues with iOS8 since GM.
    I have beta testing my Apps on for a couple of years now, and, like so many people, love to test out new iOS features, but I never saw the battery going up and down like this before. Maybe in early iOS7 betas, but after a GM? never. 7.1.2 has been the latest most stable iOS that I remember. I believe iOS8 was not ready for GM just yet, definitively 8.0.1 wasn't, and have yet to see some issues sorted out on 8.1 and 8.1.1.

I mean, I love iOS8, and can't live right now without the new features, especially the lock screen interaction with emails, but there are still a few loose ends. Battery reliability being the most annoying one. Again, for me.

17. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

You seriously don't think that the majority of Apple users are here posting in MacRumors do you? Facts maybe not, but common sense, definitely. I suppose you could find out how many registered macrumors users there are and see if that is anywhere near the total # of Apple product users if you really need "facts". No one I know who use Apple products are even aware of this site. They simply use their devices and get on with their life and interests.

18. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

8.1.1 is pre-GM.

19. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

I don't know anyone who is aware of this site either, but sometimes when I mention something that is talked about such as a rotation bug, or some UI glitch many of them say "oh you now, I'm having that problem too". So no, this site might not be a good barometer of actual users, but that doesn't mean others aren't having problems. Most are not just inclined to take the time to look up how to fix them in any way.
    They might get on with their lives but that doesn't mean that new glitch doesn't annoy them, they just think they have to live with it.

20. sziehr macrumors 6502a

I think it represents are decent sample size. I know we only hear about the complaints. I my self am having wonky battery and wonky applications response. I have not started a thread about it i have commented on a few.

I think they should capture some of these devices and start to dig into what the issues are was all i was saying. I know on a whole they are at lets say 70% of where they want to be. The fact that every one here can point to 7.1.2 as being one of the most stable releases in there history is impressive. This proves they posses the greatness to do it, I am just giving them the benefit of the doubt that the reason we are not seeing this is because they lack the required data to achieve this level of success. I know people will say well they were 6 months into a cycle when that came out and they were, but why do i have to have a not 100% experience for 6 months to have one for just another 6 months cause they up end the land scape again. I have see many people ask for them to slow the cycle down and i have to say I agree and i hate saying that. This 6 months on 6 months off cycle is really rough on users. I would prefer to see a growth rate more in keeping with reality something like a year. This means they need 2 teams or longer cycles either option is fine by me but something so when i hit a .0 release it is just as good as the one before it in things it should already do like make phone calls or keyboard typing or home screen frame rate.

21. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Agreed. This is still beta version to be used for testing with current apps, and most likely will not be the final version when release to the public.

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

based on past experience I would say battery life will be best on 8.1.2 but the battery complaint threads will spring up again as iOS 9 beta becomes available.

----------

What facts? Not every iPhone user in the world is participating in these forums. That pretty much validates what I'm saying.

23. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

Sure he does... Membership stats for the forum are right at the bottom of the main page. As of this writing, 931,000 members, less than 8% of whom are "active".

A tiny minority in the population of Apple product users.

24. martinocando thread starter macrumors regular

martinocando

Well, so far, 1 roughly 11 hours, and still 23%, so it appears it will last the rest of the day.

I'll update with tomorrow's findings and see if is more stable.

Motion Calibration seems to have been the culprit.

25. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Aside from 8.1.1 still being in beta, the issues with trying to judge battery life are that not all functions use the same amount of power.

I also have a 5s, and my typical battery life (usage) has been 5-6 hours. Updating from iOS 7 didn't change this pattern.

However, if I'm in Airplane Mode and just listening to music or going through reading list items, then I'll still have more than half of my battery life left even after 5 hours of use. Conversely, when playing a power hungry game, I'll be lucky to get 3 hours on a full charge.

EVERY iOS update has come with people complaining about the battery life. But, I suspect that a lot of this has to do with people simply using their devices more initially after updating. Unless people are doing identical things on their devices and timing everything, there's really no way to verify whether these observations about battery life are due to the actual increased power drain, or simply differences in how the device is being used from one charge to another.