8.1.2 Bricked my 5S

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by randomgeeza, Dec 10, 2014.

1. randomgeeza macrumors regular

As the subject suggests... 8.1.2 bricked my phone.

I have no idea as to why this happened. And no matter what I tried, error 4013 and error 9 kept popping up.

However, I managed to get access to a second MBP. Where lo and behold it went through OK...

So, word of warning... It might just catch you out like it did me... backup so that you can restore if you need to... Stupid me didn't, but I didn't lose much... As I don't use my phone as a storage device. The only thing lost was time, due to setting the phone up from default.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Since you were able to restore your device, it wasn't bricked. A bricked iOS device is one that cannot be restored, not even via DFU mode. Because of this, it is not possible to software brick an iOS device starting with the iPhone 4. You can still hardware brick it by having a hardware problem.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I was going to say the same thing about the term "bricked" being thrown around incorrectly but didn't want to come across as the bad guy :p

4. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Soo...Has anyone else had this issue from the update?

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

+1 to the above posters correcting threadstarter about being inaccurate about his device "being bricked".

As usual, we see way too many of "my phone is bricked" in 1st sentence followed by "I restored it" in the next sentence. :rolleyes:

6. randomgeeza thread starter macrumors regular

Don't hold back there.... I could say the same about people being righteous...

So... I used the wrong terminology... I apologise unreservedly... How ****king dare I?

It was merely a heads up for anyone who has yet to update, and may not have backed up... like this numpty here did.

Either, or... it was a right royal pain in the as**. And took a lot of head scratching... huffs and puffs... along with a walk across town to get to a different machine... And then an afternoon getting it all back.

So before we go burning the witch that used the term 'bricked' incorrectly... lets remember why this was put up... to warn others.

7. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

Eh, in the Android world we refer that to "soft brick". Hard brick is where..."It's dead, Jim"

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

There is risk of something like that with any update on almost any phone or computer or other complex electronic device. It happens to various people with all kinds of devices and updates and has been happening for years. It's simply the nature of computers (and yes phones are computers essentially) and complex (and even less complex) electronics.

9. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

My iPhone 6 truly did "brick" itself overnight the other day. Apple loading screen all morning, soft reset did nothing, DFU restore gave back error code 4005. All I did was put it on the charger before going to sleep. Woke up to the bricked device.

Apple replaced it for me in 5 minutes.

And since I have it set to backup whenever it's connected to wifi and on a charger, I had a day old backup ready to restore from. Took all of 30 minutes to be fully back up and running.

Say what you will about QC, or software issues. I've never encountered an issue with Apple Customer Service. Really glad I didn't brick a Nexus 5 or something. Sending it in, waiting weeks without a phone....yuck.

10. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

LOL @ ppl still using the word "bricked" in 2015 almost

11. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I understand that.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had an issue with the 5s and the latest update.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Your phone truly is is no where close to being "bricked"

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Error 4005 is a hardware fault, not a software brick.

14. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

OMG!

My iPhone was BRICKED as well! Completely, totally, permanently bricked!

It wouldn't do anything. Pushing Home did nothing, the touch screen did nothing.

But then I pushed the power button and turned it back on. It works now! It is so easy to fix a BRICK now!

15. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I said "brick" in the context of not being able to restore or salvage the device.

I assumed as much as the genius gave me a new one straight away and didn't even attempt any fixes.

By the way - from Wikipedia:

"The word "brick", when used in reference to consumer electronics, describes an electronic device such as a smart phone, game console, router, or tablet computer that, due to a serious misconfiguration, corrupted firmware, or a hardware problem, can no longer function."

So yes, my device was bricked.

----------

Prepare for many angry responses. ;)

16. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I've only ever bricked an iPhone once with software. I was in the middle of using geohot's iPhone 2g unlock and I accidentally hit the home button on the device. A few seconds later, the commboard was toast.

17. zone23 macrumors 68000

My car engine is blown so I changed the battery and it started right up.

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Correct, the 2G iPhone was the last iPhone that could be "bricked" via a software issue.

All newer phones can only be "bricked" by hardware failure (with the exception of flashing the iPad baseband to a newer 3GS which causes the baseband chip to fry)

19. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

Did you write to Tim Cook and all the boardroom members highlighting this 'bricking' problem? Sounds very serious issue..

/s