8.1.3: motion calibration STILL runs constantly

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Schtibbie, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

If you've noticed this on your phone, you may think it got fixed with 8.1.3 but that might be because you don't have location services/system services/Status bar icon turned on anymore. I've had this issue since 8.0 I think. If I have the system services part of location services status bar icon on, it is on 100% of the time 24/7 and it ends up being because motion calibration is ALWAYS running (purple arrow in the menu).

Is Apple ever gonna fix that to only calibrate every so often? Yes, i could turn it off but I shouldn't have to tweak like that. Stuff should just work.

2. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I never seen the locating arrow on the motion calibration on my phone, the indicator is not next to the motion calibration.
    I don't have any of the health bands associated with my phone, and the health app seems to record data fine.

If I got this problem I'd probably try to do dfu restore as new. I wonder if an app could trigger it.

3. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Used to happen to me all the time. If I turned on the setting at the bottom of "System Services" in location settings, the location arrow would appear at the top right no matter what. "Motion Calibration" was always purple.

I've restored since then and I no longer have this issue. However I don't think it was causing any problems really because nothing is different. Battery life is still pretty bad on my iPhone 6. I have spent so much time trying to find the problem. Can't figure it out, so I've given up.

What is "Motion Calibration" anyway? I turned on the location arrow for system services just now and while I was typing this post it randomly appeared. Went and checked settings and "Motion Calibration" had a purple arrow where it was just gray. Happened again just now while I was still typing. Huh.

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I found this explanation online

"Motion Calibration is used by the new processor chip to gather movement metrics. For example, how many steps you take or stairs you climb. If you are not interested in any of the health apps collecting your data then you can disable this feature."

I have this toggled off in Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services.