8.1 smoother on iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by davistld01, Oct 21, 2014.

1. davistld01 macrumors 6502a

davistld01

I'm really impressed at the speed increase & smoothness of operation that 8.1 update has brought to my iPhone 6! Anybody else?

2. X-X macrumors 6502

Not even the most basic system functions are working correctly - like wifi which is dropping to unusable speeds multiple times a day (iOS 8.1)

This OS is ruining the whole joy of having a new iPhone 6.

iOS 8 sucks big time.

3. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Never had any issues with 8.0.2 (except for occasional lag here and there) and 8.1 runs even better for me on my 6+.

4. austriak macrumors regular

It feels pretty comparable to 8.0.2. My biggest complaint is that my battery life is not as good. It isn't significantly lower but noticeable. I wonder if it is due to NFC being on constantly.

5. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Feels like 8.0.2. Some of those irksome bugs are still there. :/

6. oplix Suspended

oplix

It does NOT feel like 8.0.2. There are clear improvements in UI transition smoothness and other various improvements like third party keyboards.

7. Beefburga macrumors 6502

Beefburga

My iPhone is running great on 8.0.2 so with the mixed reception 8.1 is getting I'd rather trap my d1ck in a door than update.

8. oplix Suspended

oplix

Mixed reception by who? You realize statistically that only like 1/10 people will take time to write a positive review but 9/10 people will write something negative. This sounds more like a perception issue.

9. Damolee macrumors 6502

That isn't typical of Apple really.

And we don't even have Apple Pay here yet so fail to see how NFC would be on.

10. oplix Suspended

oplix

Sorry but that's like saying your debit card needs to be charged every night because it has NFC built in. I think you misunderstand how NFC works.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

What tests have you conducted that prove that the Wifi speed drops are a direct cause of iOS 8.1 and not your router or radio interference?

----------

Seriously?

I have wifi, bluetooth, location services and background refresh on EVERY App turned on and I don't experience any battery issues and you're pointing fingers at a feature that only uses battery when it is activated?

12. Beefburga macrumors 6502

Beefburga

Good point regarding the positive posts.

Point taken.

13. MaximoMark79 macrumors newbie

14. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

All good here too on iP6. Coming from 8.1 b2 (which was better than 8 and 8.0.2) have not had any further landscape lockups or safari refusing to play a video until reset connections. Also wifi is faster now finally. Battery seems about on par but too soon to really know for sure. Overall pleased so far!

15. macosxuser01 macrumors 6502a

macosxuser01

Next when 8.1.1 comes out we'll say "Apple Pay does feel snappier"

16. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

Wow apparently all of us here are not NFC engineers. :) I suspect the minor difference you are seeing is the fact that there is some housekeeping going on and most likely you are fooling with it more checking out new and different features. Apparently NFC does not take much or any power (like ccards) but definitely a good thought as that is something that was added with 8.1.

17. sziehr macrumors 6502a

I can report my iPhone 6 feels smoother a higher frame rate on the spring board in swiping.

18. FloridaGary macrumors regular

8.02 worked fine on my 6 with a few bugs and 8.1 feels more solid. Speed was good on both 8.02 and 8.1. I feel bad for all the issues people are experiencing. I've owned 3 iPhones, iPad 2 and now iPad Air 2 and all have and are working very well.

19. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

Finally, someone who agrees! Sheesh!:confused:

20. El Jefe macrumors member

Thought it was just me, but swiping and transitions just feel cleaner now on my iPhone 6.

21. sbailey4, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

Ya know I was thinking the same thing over the past few days. Wasn't sure if just update cleanup stuff or indexing or what but seems that battery was a little off. As you said not significant but noticeable. I was always amazed how long iP6 worked and stayed on 100% with really a lot of use with battery left over at the end of day. After updating from 8.1b2 to 8.1 release it didn't seem like it was quite like it was. This afternoon my wifes iP6 which was updated from 8.0.2 to 8.1 had about the exact standby and usage times as me and hers was on 99% and I was at 92% remaining. While that is not huge, it is 7% difference within 7 hr stdby/30min use on both. That sorta confirmed for me that something was off a little from where it was. So being that I upgraded from a beta version (which I never do) I decided to restore via iTunes and let iTunes backup/restore my data as well so it would be painless. Tonight it seems that the prior battery life is back like it was. Of course all this happened today so may be to early to tell but it definitely seems that the phone is performing like it was once again.

22. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

6+ on 8.1 and I see no issues so far. But I've been using it more like a phone the last few days and less like an browser. I have the rest of the week off, I'll see how it goes.

23. leesweet macrumors 65816

leesweet

For one data point, the swipe to delete emails seems much smoother. Definitely looks like work was done on UI issues there.

24. Saileshbreaker macrumors regular

25. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

It feels like there's a delay on everything I do with the 6 plus. Definitely not impressed. iOS 7 managed to slow down half of all devices. iOS 8 managed to slow every single one released.