8.1 smoother on iPhone 6?

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
I'm really impressed at the speed increase & smoothness of operation that 8.1 update has brought to my iPhone 6! Anybody else?

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
Not even the most basic system functions are working correctly - like wifi which is dropping to unusable speeds multiple times a day (iOS 8.1)

This OS is ruining the whole joy of having a new iPhone 6.

iOS 8 sucks big time.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I'm really impressed at the speed increase & smoothness of operation that 8.1 update has brought to my iPhone 6! Anybody else?
Never had any issues with 8.0.2 (except for occasional lag here and there) and 8.1 runs even better for me on my 6+.

austriak

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2011
It feels pretty comparable to 8.0.2. My biggest complaint is that my battery life is not as good. It isn't significantly lower but noticeable. I wonder if it is due to NFC being on constantly.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
It does NOT feel like 8.0.2. There are clear improvements in UI transition smoothness and other various improvements like third party keyboards.

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
My iPhone is running great on 8.0.2 so with the mixed reception 8.1 is getting I'd rather trap my d1ck in a door than update.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
My iPhone is running great on 8.0.2 so with the mixed reception 8.1 is getting I'd rather trap my d1ck in a door than update.
Mixed reception by who? You realize statistically that only like 1/10 people will take time to write a positive review but 9/10 people will write something negative. This sounds more like a perception issue.

Damolee

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2012
It feels pretty comparable to 8.0.2. My biggest complaint is that my battery life is not as good. It isn't significantly lower but noticeable. I wonder if it is due to NFC being on constantly.
That isn't typical of Apple really.

And we don't even have Apple Pay here yet so fail to see how NFC would be on.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Sorry but that's like saying your debit card needs to be charged every night because it has NFC built in. I think you misunderstand how NFC works.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Not even the most basic system functions are working correctly - like wifi which is dropping to unusable speeds multiple times a day (iOS 8.1)

This OS is ruining the whole joy of having a new iPhone 6.

iOS 8 sucks big time.
What tests have you conducted that prove that the Wifi speed drops are a direct cause of iOS 8.1 and not your router or radio interference?

----------

Seriously?

I have wifi, bluetooth, location services and background refresh on EVERY App turned on and I don't experience any battery issues and you're pointing fingers at a feature that only uses battery when it is activated?

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
Mixed reception by who? You realize statistically that only like 1/10 people will take time to write a positive review but 9/10 people will write something negative. This sounds more like a perception issue.
Good point regarding the positive posts.

Point taken.

sbailey4

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2011
USA
All good here too on iP6. Coming from 8.1 b2 (which was better than 8 and 8.0.2) have not had any further landscape lockups or safari refusing to play a video until reset connections. Also wifi is faster now finally. Battery seems about on par but too soon to really know for sure. Overall pleased so far!

sbailey4

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Wow apparently all of us here are not NFC engineers. :) I suspect the minor difference you are seeing is the fact that there is some housekeeping going on and most likely you are fooling with it more checking out new and different features. Apparently NFC does not take much or any power (like ccards) but definitely a good thought as that is something that was added with 8.1.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I can report my iPhone 6 feels smoother a higher frame rate on the spring board in swiping.

FloridaGary

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
8.02 worked fine on my 6 with a few bugs and 8.1 feels more solid. Speed was good on both 8.02 and 8.1. I feel bad for all the issues people are experiencing. I've owned 3 iPhones, iPad 2 and now iPad Air 2 and all have and are working very well.

sbailey4

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Ya know I was thinking the same thing over the past few days. Wasn't sure if just update cleanup stuff or indexing or what but seems that battery was a little off. As you said not significant but noticeable. I was always amazed how long iP6 worked and stayed on 100% with really a lot of use with battery left over at the end of day. After updating from 8.1b2 to 8.1 release it didn't seem like it was quite like it was. This afternoon my wifes iP6 which was updated from 8.0.2 to 8.1 had about the exact standby and usage times as me and hers was on 99% and I was at 92% remaining. While that is not huge, it is 7% difference within 7 hr stdby/30min use on both. That sorta confirmed for me that something was off a little from where it was. So being that I upgraded from a beta version (which I never do) I decided to restore via iTunes and let iTunes backup/restore my data as well so it would be painless. Tonight it seems that the prior battery life is back like it was. Of course all this happened today so may be to early to tell but it definitely seems that the phone is performing like it was once again.

Last edited:

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
6+ on 8.1 and I see no issues so far. But I've been using it more like a phone the last few days and less like an browser. I have the rest of the week off, I'll see how it goes.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
It feels like there's a delay on everything I do with the 6 plus. Definitely not impressed. iOS 7 managed to slow down half of all devices. iOS 8 managed to slow every single one released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.