8-10" ultra-portable laptop in the future?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tonyl, Oct 12, 2008.

1. tonyl macrumors 6502

The new MB and MB Pro are around the corner, is it possible that atom based ultra-portable laptop/device will be introduced in the future? I think such 8-10" laptops will be very popular in next a couple of years. They are great for email, web browsing and word processing. Am I alone here?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Virtually. Apple really doesn't seem like the "oh, everyone else on the fricking planet released a netbook, now we should, too" type.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't see apple jumping on the netbook bandwagon. which is why i've ordered one from dell.

mainly i don't see apple doing this for several reasons:
    1. price point - apple isn't interested in low profit margins from these machines
    2. philosophy - apple has the Air, which is as ultra portable as they'll go imo, due to wanting a 'full sized experience' rather than sub sized keyboard and screen

it really is a shame because they are perfect for those who don't need a lot of power on the go.

4. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Heck. Have you ever TRIED to type on those Eee PCs?

Exactly. You can't!
    Ergonomically, it's TERRIBLE.

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Probably not going to happen. The profit margin is low on netbooks.

6. timestoby macrumors 6502

if they did make such a small machine,i dont think they would make one with single cores. i guess it would be more higher end then the netbooks.

7. tonyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Then why they released a smartphone? The market for these netbooks is there, but it may not be high for Apple and as skubish said, the profit margin is low.

8. tonyl thread starter macrumors 6502

A tablet is also great.

9. yegon macrumors 68020

I'd kill for an Apple netbook! I'd happily pay £1000+ for a well specced sub-10" one. Alongside my MB, I mostly use an Acer Aspire One when I'm out and about. Tesco marked the price wrong on my AAO, so I got the 120gb hdd version for £198 :). For the price, a fantastic little piece of kit for browsing and watching videos on, my main uses when I'm on the go.

I'd sell both my AAO and my MB in a heartbeat if Apple released a quality ultra portable though.

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Profit Margins poor
    Highly competitive market.

Both of those = no go for Apple

11. thebeesknees macrumors regular

Maybe if they drop the weight of the MacBook. I mean, it's practically a powerful netbook on its own.

12. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

only Tuesday will tell. However I would have loved a netbook. But as thing stand I have an eee pc on the way. I'll be using my iPhone as my computer for a few days. It will feel lime a giant when I get it.

Anyways as a stay at home mom I need something small and easy to put up and hide. So smaller the better.