Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
The new MB and MB Pro are around the corner, is it possible that atom based ultra-portable laptop/device will be introduced in the future? I think such 8-10" laptops will be very popular in next a couple of years. They are great for email, web browsing and word processing. Am I alone here?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i don't see apple jumping on the netbook bandwagon. which is why i've ordered one from dell.

mainly i don't see apple doing this for several reasons:
1. price point - apple isn't interested in low profit margins from these machines
2. philosophy - apple has the Air, which is as ultra portable as they'll go imo, due to wanting a 'full sized experience' rather than sub sized keyboard and screen

it really is a shame because they are perfect for those who don't need a lot of power on the go.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
The new MB and MB Pro are around the corner, is it possible that atom based ultra-portable laptop/device will be introduced in the future? I think such 8-10" laptops will be very popular in next a couple of years. They are great for email, web browsing and word processing. Am I alone here?
Probably not going to happen. The profit margin is low on netbooks.

timestoby

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
north devon,uk
if they did make such a small machine,i dont think they would make one with single cores. i guess it would be more higher end then the netbooks.

tonyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Virtually. Apple really doesn't seem like the "oh, everyone else on the fricking planet released a netbook, now we should, too" type.

Then why they released a smartphone? The market for these netbooks is there, but it may not be high for Apple and as skubish said, the profit margin is low.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I'd kill for an Apple netbook! I'd happily pay £1000+ for a well specced sub-10" one. Alongside my MB, I mostly use an Acer Aspire One when I'm out and about. Tesco marked the price wrong on my AAO, so I got the 120gb hdd version for £198 :). For the price, a fantastic little piece of kit for browsing and watching videos on, my main uses when I'm on the go.

I'd sell both my AAO and my MB in a heartbeat if Apple released a quality ultra portable though.

thebeesknees

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Maybe if they drop the weight of the MacBook. I mean, it's practically a powerful netbook on its own.

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
only Tuesday will tell. However I would have loved a netbook. But as thing stand I have an eee pc on the way. I'll be using my iPhone as my computer for a few days. It will feel lime a giant when I get it.

Anyways as a stay at home mom I need something small and easy to put up and hide. So smaller the better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.