8.2 'other' file...wow

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sundog925, Apr 7, 2015.

1. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

HAS NOT MOVED IN A WEEK.

Could it be that this is FINALLY fixed??? It is a fluke?

I was one of the users plagued with an ever growing 'other' file that always got bigger after countless DFU restores, resets and such.

Happy guy for sure.

disclaimer:
    For those of you for this hasn't been a problem keep scrolling, this is simply for those of us who knew it was legit problem. This cuts down on /sarcasm. Thank You.

Attached Files:

• SS.png
      SS.png
      File size:
      13.4 KB
      Views:
  2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

We have an iPad air here at the church who's sole purpose is to run slideshows via lightning to HDMI, and to serve as a backup POS system running GoPayment. It has zero accounts signed in iCloud or otherwise, and two apps, GoPayment, and Microsoft PowerPoint. Every single stock app is not used other than settings and occasionally Safari to download a slideshow from a site.

It has over 1GB of "Other" and was purchased new a few months ago with iOS 8 preinstalled. It's on 8.2 and it has made zero change to the other size. Doesn't make a big difference, but this is a 16GB iPad Air with 10GB available out of the box with two apps.

My 64GB iPhone 6 Plus on the other hand has 2.5GB of "Other". I don't care much because I've still got plenty of space, but I still wish iOS would actually tell you what it is. Or have a file manager. I've been using iOS since 2.2.1 on an iPod touch and I've always wanted a darn file manager. I've also used Android since 2.0. So, I'm used to actually having one too.

[​IMG]

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Nope not been fixed. Unless 8.3 broke it again, because my iPad 2 and iPhone 6 on 8.3 beta 4 have the 'other' fluctuate 500-600MB a week.

4. Shain7 macrumors newbie

It is is fixed on ios 8.2 but i upgraded to 8.3 beta 4 and its back again so defo got to do with the software

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Apple REALLY needs to fix this. :mad: I tried to restore my iPhone 5 last week with iTunes to clear it out and had to deal with a different issue of some of my iPad apps trying to sync to my iPhone with no available space.

6. saudor macrumors 6502

My 64 gb iPad 4 has about 2 GB of other as of now. A restore brings it down to 900 MB ish. I restored it a couple months ago when it was around 3-4 gb

Apple is like the old windows. Need a format every 6 months to keep it happy.

7. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I've been sending this feedback to apple since 2009 from my earlier idevices, fallen on deaf ears.

Is there an app where I can see disk usage?
    [​IMG]

8. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Geez!

Mine is a huge 6.58 gigabytes. I don't even know what to think about that.

9. chillenandy321 macrumors regular

chillenandy321

Mine is sitting about 2.30 gigs with 6+ on 8.2

10. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

11. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

It's really not necessarily a bug, or an issue per se.

It's just everything that doesn't fit into the few categories iTunes has for data.

So it isn't unreasonable if you have a lot of Email accounts holding cached attachments, browse a lot in Safari, send lots of stuff through iMessage (esp photos), etc.

The issue I have though, is having 1GB on a fresh restore. They might as well just re label it system files or something a little more descriptive. Better yet, if you could click it and have a list of what is really taking up space that would be perfect. Than you could go clear whatever is using it the most (assuming the user can do it, if not, iTunes could).

Plenty of solutions to this that just haven't been implemented. Not that I'd want iTunes to get any more bloated with iOS data management tools, but if they can keep it simple that'd be great. But I'm just a dreamer.