Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
HAS NOT MOVED IN A WEEK.

Could it be that this is FINALLY fixed??? It is a fluke?

I was one of the users plagued with an ever growing 'other' file that always got bigger after countless DFU restores, resets and such.

Happy guy for sure.

disclaimer:
For those of you for this hasn't been a problem keep scrolling, this is simply for those of us who knew it was legit problem. This cuts down on /sarcasm. Thank You.

Attachments

• SS.png
    SS.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 132

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
We have an iPad air here at the church who's sole purpose is to run slideshows via lightning to HDMI, and to serve as a backup POS system running GoPayment. It has zero accounts signed in iCloud or otherwise, and two apps, GoPayment, and Microsoft PowerPoint. Every single stock app is not used other than settings and occasionally Safari to download a slideshow from a site.

It has over 1GB of "Other" and was purchased new a few months ago with iOS 8 preinstalled. It's on 8.2 and it has made zero change to the other size. Doesn't make a big difference, but this is a 16GB iPad Air with 10GB available out of the box with two apps.

My 64GB iPhone 6 Plus on the other hand has 2.5GB of "Other". I don't care much because I've still got plenty of space, but I still wish iOS would actually tell you what it is. Or have a file manager. I've been using iOS since 2.2.1 on an iPod touch and I've always wanted a darn file manager. I've also used Android since 2.0. So, I'm used to actually having one too.

xvHz8Fj.png

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Nope not been fixed. Unless 8.3 broke it again, because my iPad 2 and iPhone 6 on 8.3 beta 4 have the 'other' fluctuate 500-600MB a week.

Shain7

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2015
It is is fixed on ios 8.2 but i upgraded to 8.3 beta 4 and its back again so defo got to do with the software

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Apple REALLY needs to fix this. :mad: I tried to restore my iPhone 5 last week with iTunes to clear it out and had to deal with a different issue of some of my iPad apps trying to sync to my iPhone with no available space.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
My 64 gb iPad 4 has about 2 GB of other as of now. A restore brings it down to 900 MB ish. I restored it a couple months ago when it was around 3-4 gb

Apple is like the old windows. Need a format every 6 months to keep it happy.

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
Apple REALLY needs to fix this. :mad: I tried to restore my iPhone 5 last week with iTunes to clear it out and had to deal with a different issue of some of my iPad apps trying to sync to my iPhone with no available space.

I've been sending this feedback to apple since 2009 from my earlier idevices, fallen on deaf ears.

Is there an app where I can see disk usage?

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
It's really not necessarily a bug, or an issue per se.

It's just everything that doesn't fit into the few categories iTunes has for data.

Note the category at the end called "Other." What is "Other?" iTunes has 8 standard data categories listed in the Data Bar of iTunes. They are called Apps, Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, Books, Photos, and Info. Basically, anything stored on your iDevice that cannot fit into one of those 8 categories is categorized as "Other." This includes:

Browser cache
Mail cache
Mail messages
Mail attachments
Safari's Reading List
iTunes Backups
Crud resulting from jailbreaking your iDevice
Game data
Saved data files
Call history
Notes
Media
Voice memos

So it isn't unreasonable if you have a lot of Email accounts holding cached attachments, browse a lot in Safari, send lots of stuff through iMessage (esp photos), etc.

The issue I have though, is having 1GB on a fresh restore. They might as well just re label it system files or something a little more descriptive. Better yet, if you could click it and have a list of what is really taking up space that would be perfect. Than you could go clear whatever is using it the most (assuming the user can do it, if not, iTunes could).

Plenty of solutions to this that just haven't been implemented. Not that I'd want iTunes to get any more bloated with iOS data management tools, but if they can keep it simple that'd be great. But I'm just a dreamer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.