8.3 iTunes Match Issue

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by fenderbass146, Apr 12, 2015.

1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

So normally the way I setup my phone is I sync all the music in my top rated and a few other playlist to my phone, (around 4000 songs) then I turn on iTunes match so I have access to the rest of my music. Normally this works great, I have my 4000 core songs already on the device via iTunes sync, then once iTunes match loads I have access to all my music in the cloud if I want it.

I did a clean restore after 8.3 came out and now I did the same process I have always done and now it deletes all my local music. The only way I can seem to get it on there is via downloading on the device, but I don't want to do that. Takes to dang long.

Now I know it always said it would replace your local music, but it never actually did that.

Any ideas why this is happening or how to fix it.

On a side note Apple really dropped the ball on what could have been an awesome program in iTunes Match, I can't believe after 3 years they have never allowed music to just stream instead of download. Or to allow it to sync with iTunes and have match enabled. It is really frustrating. I know sadly they probably never will update it, Streaming is the future, but I love having my own music on my device.

2. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

I've never been able to sync music first and then enable match without it deleting the music already on the phone

3. fenderbass146, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

That's weird. I've never had a issue. Just thought of something to try. I created a new playlist recently that I didn't sync to my device. Maybe I have to have all the playlist in my iTunes library synced to device for it to allow the music to stay. Just a thought. I'll have to try it tonight

I might only work if the library matched exactly

4. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

I wanted to put some audiobooks on my ipod touch directly last year (with match enabled) and it wouldn't let me do it (and of course the files were too big to be matched :s)

5. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

The only way to actually do that would be to set the media type to music first in order to fool iTunes. iTunes Match does not support audiobooks with their native media type in the meta data.

6. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

They are mp3s but they are too long for match to do its thing, they're ineligible

7. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

I know a lot of audiobooks are in MP3 format but trust me even if they were short, iTunes Match would not upload them unless you set the media type to music.

----------

I'm not going to defend iTunes Match because it's always been buggy in my opinion. However you should get your facts straight, it's always been possible to tap a song and stream it without clicking the download icon. If you stream the whole song then it is saved in cache for if you want to listen again. But it's not permanently downloaded to be device and the download button will still be present for that.