8.5" wrist, where to find bands?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dzirkelb, May 31, 2016.

1. dzirkelb macrumors newbie

I just purchased the watch, and my wrist measures at 8.5". The sport model I have does not fit unless I poke a hole in the band itself, and even then it barely fits.

I'd lie to have a sort band that is big enough for my wrist, any ideas?

2. JayLenochiniMac, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can purchase extra links to supersize the Link Bracelet by 40mm.

It may not match the Sport model because of the different finish though so maybe check out third party bands that are more suitable for the Sport model. The Woven Nylon is a big bigger at 215mm but likely a tight fit if an extra hole in the Sport band barely fits you.

3. chuyn macrumors 6502

There's the XL sport bands from Apple too. They only come in white or black though. But they go up to 245mm which should be about 9.5".

4. dzirkelb thread starter macrumors newbie

That one will work great, thanks. Now, the decision...do I return this smaller faced watch with the small strap and upgrade to the big face and big strap or just wait until the new watch comes out...hrmm. I purchased the small face for a "test" until the new one came out. But, now, I'm looking to spend about $400 (bigger face, bigger strap) to get something useful for me.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So you got the 38mm version to test it out and that's for your 8.5" wrist? The 42mm is only $50 more so get that and buy the XL sport band separately.

6. dzirkelb thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, I have the Fitbit blaze currently. My first smartwatch. I loved the notifications on the wrist because my phone is always on vibrate, and I miss a lot. The heart rate tracking and all the other stuff is meh (my workouts are intense, so anything above 130 or so BMM is pretty much inaccurate...today it said I burned 1200 calories in an hour...riiiiiight).

I then went to the apple watch. I wanted to keep kit cheaper since a new one is rumored to come out in a couple months. But, the small watch face and small band make it unusable for me. I could probably live with the smaller watch face, I'll have to think about that.

But, I just confirmed with apple. If you want a larger wrist band, you have to buy the watch with the smaller band, then buy the larger band, and essentially throw the smaller one in the trash. What....a....waste.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

True, but you can always sell it to recoup at least part of your cost. You won't get very much for it but at least it's something.

8. dzirkelb thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, I thought about that. Right now, however, I'm looking for a 3rd party strap.