8/8+ Owners What Happens Next Year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cashmonee, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Cashmonee macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

There’s been a lot of negativity surrounding the X, and it got me curious. All of you that prefer the 6/7/8 and the plus versions, what will you do next year (or the year after if it takes that long) when Apple moves on? I suspect the 8/8+ are the last flagship level phone that has bezels, home button, and TouchID.

I don’t mean to incite anything. I am honestly curious. I suspect most are expecting a X Plus, which I am too, and would go that route.

2. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I'm pretty sure they'll be at least one more LCD version of the iPhone to go along with the OLED versions. Maybe they'll save the 9 designation for next years replacement for the 8 series.

3. Ironman1964 macrumors regular

Ironman1964

I will be getting whatever the flagship phone is. If the X had come out when the 8+ had I would have gotten the X. For me I just didn’t want to get out of sync with the September upgrade cycle on my at&t next plan. Probably sounds dumb to some, but I just didn’t want to be almost 2 months behind if apple gets back to September release next year.

4. Cashmonee thread starter macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

I would be very surprised if they made a 5th version of the same design with flagship specs. I could see a low cost version hanging on. I also doubt they would do a redesign of a TouchID, LCD phone.

5. Another Day macrumors regular

8/8+ are not flagship devices, just sayin.

6. Cashmonee thread starter macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

That’s harsh and inaccurate. The 8/8+ share almost all of their insides with the X.

On a side note, as I said, I’m not interested in inciting anything here. Just curious.

7. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

The 8 is sorta the lone wolf

Since 8+ and X both feature 3gb and dual cameras

I would argue the flagship is 8+ and X depending on preferences and budget

8. fartnugget213 macrumors member

I'm gonna use my 7+ until it breaks.

I can't imagine a scenario where they just 'move on' and leave behind users of all price tiers.

If they happen to do so and only offer phones over the $1,000 mark, so be it. I'll buy one when my 7+ no longer works but for now I am really happy with it!

9. Cashmonee thread starter macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

I agree with you. I guess I am making the assumption that next years X will go down in price and the X Plus will slide in to the current X price slot. Total speculation.

10. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

That would be something

And an 899 price?

That would drawn in such a crowd!

$100 can make a world of difference

11. SnyG macrumors regular

SnyG

I really hope so because I’ll probably be all over an X Plus, but I imagine Apple will keep the new X the same price and make the Plus even more expensive. Because, y’know, it’s Apple.

12. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

:mad:

13. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

I think Apple will release a few brand new phones next year...

I think a some what redesigned version of the 8ish style phone will see some light, maybe with or without a number attached to it?

Either way the X is really the 10, so they may just roll back to Xs and Xs Plus as they’ve done in the past.

I think 2018 is a big year for Apple as they will look to really solidify Face ID, by then it will be perfected. The Bigger X version will probably be the ultimate flagship with some serious camera features and pretty much all that small tablet goodiness packed into a frame smaller than the current plus phone with a bigger screen and no bezels. The Xs will become 2nd in line as far as flagship phones go and have some upgraded spec bumps. And most likely a new gold style variant of the phone will be released for those Xs and Xs Plus models as well if history serves any purpose.

Pure speculation, but I could definitely see some sort of direction like this.

14. pojo1806 macrumors 68020

X2 £699
    X2 Plus £799

Only this will make me upgrade next year.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I agree that there will be at least one more LCD model next year. I don't think the iPhone will only be offered in OLED models next year. I do think that the 4.7 LCD model will not be updated and it will be one size offered in an LCD iPhone. But I think the OLED iPhone Will have a 5.8 and 6.4 variant. But the naming scheme for this next LCD iPhone is questionable.

16. Revels macrumors member

You won't be upgrading then.

17. pojo1806 macrumors 68020

Then I will be keeping my 8 Plus or buying something different.

18. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

9/9+ is an option ;)

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don't know that will Apple use the iPhone 9 Moniker or not if they offer another LCD model. Its possible, but they have proven otherwise in the past how they do things.

20. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

My final judgment will be what Apple brings out next year. I will look at the pixel 3 when it comes out next year and the Samsung galaxy S9 as well.

21. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Or even 8s /8+s - we all know Apple like milking that good old cash cow to its max so we could see a few more years of the “legacy” design while they improve on the X lineup. We could also see them add a sub-line using a previous design like they did with the SE or C.