8 and half hour cross-country flight. Things to do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Love, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Later this month, I will be taking a flight on Air Canada across the country to St. John's, NL. With the stop in Montreal, it's a 8 and a half hour flight. What do you people do for long trips on planes? The plane I'm going on has an entertainment system on it, and I'll be bringing my laptop, but the battery is limited on my little Aspire (although I'll most likely end up bringing my MacBook, but it probably won't last through the first connection). I have lots of iTunes content, but I've seen it all. What are some suggestions to stay entertained?

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Me personally, I could play some NES or SNES games for eight and a half hours and be perfectly fine. I would suggest trying to beat Super Mario Bros 3 without using the whistle, and if you succeed with that, try doing Super Mario World without using Star Road. :)

3. brax.j macrumors regular

I always just do stuff on my laptop on long flights to solve the battery problem go to seatguru.com and lookup the seating on your plane and try to get a seat with a power plug you can get an adapter at the Apple Store. Also, sleeping is something a lot of people when flying.

4. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Well new iTunes content for one. Also see if you can sleep a little (personally I can sleep anywhere anytime). Also its always fun to sprinkle around some white powder, or to start pressing down on the toe of your shoe muttering "ignite damn you ignite!" Hell you can even just dress up in a turban and long fake beard before boarding. (Too far? :D) Actually the ironic part is most people would mistake you for a muslim instead of a sikh :rolleyes:

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

God I wish I had all this fancy technology when I was young doing endless Sydney-Singapore hops. All I had to do was try not to throw up because I had been put in the smoking section. Invariably we'd end up with two lots of two seats together so my folks would sit with my little sisters and big brother would sit by himself. In the smoking section. For 8 hours. I'd never heard of the term "chain smoking" until then.

My first trip over as the plane started it's descent, I turned green, raced to the loo but managed to bring up my lunch over three people in the very back row before I'd got there.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Having taken 8 hour transatlantic flights a couple of times a year since I was 3 months old my technique has developed into simply sitting and staring into space with my iPod and noise-canceling headphones. I make numerous on-the-go playlists and occasionally read the inflight magazine when bored. I 86'd watching moves on my laptop (doesn't fit on tray table, uncomfortable on my knees, too warm on a stale plane), and have usually seen/not want to see the inflight movies. Crossword puzzles are a good time waster otherwise. :)

7. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

First, when you stop at Montreal, see if have time to speed walk through the terminals (don't run; don't want to invite a taser-happy security guard). The exercise will help.
    I usually buy one paperback novel, the kind I don't mind leaving on the plane after I finish it. (Usually a Stephen King). I also rip out a few pages of crossword/Sudoko/Kenken puzzles from various newspapers and books to carry on the flight. I travel with 2 batteries for my MacBook Pro, but even for my Vancouver/Montreal flights, one is usually enough to get me through the boredom.
    Air Canada food sucks (even in first class) so see if you can grab something at the airport.
    Safe flying!

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I have done that with super mario world, that second level on star road dam that kicks my ass every time

9. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

www.audible.com

Audio books are awesome. I'm listening to 1984 right now for the first time and I love it!

10. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Air Canada have some pretty new movies, that's all I did when I flew to Shanghai, 14.5 hours. :eek:

11. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Ahh, I don't miss the NY to CA flights!

A good book or a few DVDs should help pass the time. If not, you can always sleep.

12. Keebler macrumors 68030

do you read? find a book or series you might interested in and give them a whirl. It will go faster than you expect.

i wouldn't wander too far in mtl - i've heard plenty of horror stories revolving around security guards/customs folks who are massive a-holes. (all stories are from different ppl too so it's not the same). power trips is the general theme.

13. Love thread starter macrumors 68000

Love

I'm not a big reader. The problem with Air Canada is their power plugs only sometimes work. It's kind of odd. I can bring both laptops in case that happens.

14. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I would think swift walking would look more suspicious than running. People are always running through airports. It's hard to be in an airport without seeing people running with a panicked look trying to make a flight.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Pill + Cocktail = Sleep.
    The rest is iPhone/iPod movies, music, & books.

16. Love thread starter macrumors 68000

Love

I guess I should probably invest in some new media from iTunes. All 5 seasons of The Office are in HD on iTunes... and I could complete my 30 rock collection. I like NBC.

As for reading, there's a book I definitely want to take because it's just funny. "Stuff White People Like" by Christian Lander. Air Canada has a lot of good content. However, it looks like I'll be sleeping a lot. My flight leaves at 1:20 AM.

17. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Another vote for an audiobook, it will keep you interested throughout the entire flight(abet the story is good:eek:)

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Sleep would be good for most of the trip, I would assume. And both your laptops should last for the remainder.

Like someone else suggusted, get a few emulators and some old game ROM's. You'd be surprised how fast those classics will pass the time.

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

in that case you'll regret it later if you don't try to sleep as much as possible....leave all that other stuff in your bag so you're not distracted from trying to sleep

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

DS or PSP, maybe some South Park or Spaced on the iPod. Other than that I'd sleep.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Drink.
    Try to join the Mile High Club.
    Sleep.

22. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

23. snberk103 macrumors 603

Get flight simulator game. Just as your seat neighbour is waking up, and still dopey, tell them that you've managed to tie into the camera in the nosewheel of the plane..... just as you crash it. :D

Seriously - sleep. At 1:20am you'll have no problems. I like to bring a light hat so that I can pull it down over my eyes. Your iPod earphones should work with the entertain system (expect to fork out a couple of bucks if you buy the Air Canada pair). Ask for the adaptor (and keep it for future use) - its free.

Happy Flying.

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is pretty much my prescription for long flights, too; I'm an avid reader, so books are a must, and music is a passion so my iPod always travels with me (this is where the good battery life of the iPod classic comes into its own). Sleep is always a good idea and I am fortunate in that I can sleep almost anywhere, anytime.

Cheers and good luck