8 Core, 13mp, 1080p Galaxy S IV

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Woodcrest64, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Didn't read the link, but just have to think. What will that phone do to your battery?

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Unless the software utilizes those cores, it's pretty much useless... this goes for app developers as well... not just the OS. They can put 16 cores in it for all I care... that's not what's going to impress me.

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Already 2 other threads discussing this :p

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1493307

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1492331

Maybe ask the mods to merge yours with one of them.

5. hyteckit Guest

I'm wondering too. Maybe they are going to use a bigger battery.

6. cynics macrumors G3

More cores can aid battery life but like mentioned you need the software to support it. This can be handled on an OS level especially with a phone/tablet where programs are "light".

We are quite a ways off from seeing this in a phone though.

7. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

The 8 cores that Samsung will introduce will actually help increase battery life because 4 cores are higher performance ones that can suck juice but the other 4 cores are super efficient ones that get used most of the time. Specific processors for specific tasks.

8. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Why is it pretty much useless? The OS still supports the extra cores. If an app were only using two cores of the CPU, you think the OS just lets the rest of the CPU sit idle or something?

9. hyteckit Guest

Where did you read that?

----------

The extra cores sit idle to save power.

If the OS isn't letting the extra cores go idle, then it's not a very efficient OS for a portable device.

10. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

They did mention that some of the cores are supposed to be more energy efficient. We'll wait and see if that is actually the case.

A while ago, I read an article about better batteries being developed that will last longer. My thought at the time was that now this means hardware designers will now make devices that will suck up even more power than before.

11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

With the success of the S3, the S4 event will be pretty huge. In some ways, larger and more exciting than the iPhone event, especially knowing it'll likely be a 5S.

I'm curious to see what they'll do with TouchWiz. Didn't the Samsung president say they're going to focus a lot on software now? Seeing what the Note II is offering, I'm pretty excited.

And for the love of god, please go back to capacity buttons! Some things of Apple should really not be emulated.

12. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

As long as it has a 1080p display, I'm buying it. I would jump on the HTC DNA, but HTC sucks and I'm not on VZW.

13. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Single cores can sleep. The GPU bus-bandwith is much higher, which means the bus can transport more data in less time, which makes the high resolution devices more efficient.

14. hot spare macrumors 6502

Maybe you don't know much about ARM's big.LITTLE concept.

About the Samsung SoC, it's not a rumour. They are presenting it in a ISSCC on Feb 19. It is a heterogeneous, 8-core processor. It's a 28-nm SoC with two quad-core clusters. One cluster (Cortex-A15) runs at 1. 8 GHz, has a 2 MByte L2 cache and is geared for high performance apps; the other (Cortex-A7) runs at 1.2 GHz and is tuned for energy efficiency.

http://www.miracd.com/ISSCC2013/PDF/ISSCC2013AdvanceProgram.pdf (page 23)

In reality it can be said to be a quad core SoC. It's like a 4+4 implementation. OMAP uses a similar tech in 4470.

What has this got to do with the OS? Do you even have a clue what you saying? If cores are allowed to go idle, how is it inefficient? Please read thoroughly before commenting:

http://www.arm.com/files/downloads/big_LITTLE_Final_Final.pdf

15. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

spec sheet racing

does android 4.2 allow you to plan your holidays in december yet?

16. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Does iOS wake you up after daylights savings time yet?

17. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

don't run daylight saving here, so yes?

18. hyteckit Guest

You seem confused and clueless. Read what I said thoroughly before commenting.

I said if the core aren't allowed to go idle.

Then you ask me if the cores are allow to go idle?

Maybe you need to follow you own advice before posting.

19. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Android 4.2 doesn't have any problem with the calendar

20. hyteckit Guest

So it's 2 separate quad cores just like I suspected. The 2 separate quad core are running in parallel at different speeds. No different than saying having a dedicated FPU, video chip, or DSP.

Seems that one set of quad core is useless unless the OS can handle parallel processing.

21. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

Yes.

[​IMG]