8 cores need more RAM than 4 cores?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Sep 19, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I thought I had read something about this when the OctoMac came out. Anybody know, and know how much for an Octo? 4 seems to be a sweet spot for the 4-core MP.

2. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

I would say, please someone correct me if i'm wrong.. that the number of cores has nothing to do with how much ram u need. but how much stuff u expect to be loaded onto the ram at once..but...if u really need 8 cores..u will pry need more ram then if u only NEED 2 or 4 cores.

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

What applications do you plan to use? For example, After Effects CS3 can use each core, but needs at least 512MB of RAM to function properly. Giving 1GB per core allows it to function faster and more efficiently during renders and previews.

Since I have 9GB of RAM (1GB is stock) AECS3 uses all 9GB for itself. It all depends on what you're doing.

4. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

FCE, Photoshop CS3 and Aperture seem to put the biggest loads on my MacBook Pro (and set off the fans). I am hoping that the Mac Pro will render HD video and process images (RAW 10MP images) a lot faster.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Sure it will. The Octo will serve you well. If you can hold out a bit, I'm sure new Macs will come out within a few months.

When I render in AECS3, all my RAM is in use and the fans on the Mac kick up and make a bit of noise during a CPU intensive render. When I check the activity monitor it clearly shows 98% of RAM is in use and all CPU's are at 100% usage.

It all depends on your application. As far as Photoshop, it can only use upto 3GB, as you can set this in the preferences.