8 features iPhone 3GS has that iPhone 3G doesn't.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iDeve1oper, Aug 5, 2009.

1. iDeve1oper macrumors member

There's been a lot of talk in the smartphone world about the new iPhone 3GS and if it's a worthwhile upgrade from the iPhone 3G or from any other smartphone for that matter. Here is a list of new features and capabilities of iPhone 3GS over iPhone 3G:

1) Faster CPU -- The iPhone 3GS CPU (central processing unit) upgraded from ARM 11 412 MHz to ARM Cortex 600 MHz,

2) Faster graphics -- the GPU (graphics processing unit) upgraded from PowerVR MBX Lite to PowerVR SGX

3) More system memory -- RAM (random access memory) upgraded from 128 MB to 256 MB.

4) 3-megapixel autofocus camera -- Megapixel count is only part of the story when it comes to quality of digital photos. When comparing photo quality the small jump from 2mp to 3mp does not give one a full picture the vast improvements. Clarity and color correctness are greatly improved. (See below video)

5) Video recording -- Not only can the new 3GS record video but videos can be edited on the fly. A tap of the camera toggle switches from photo to video. Then you’re ready to record 30-fps VGA video in portrait or widescreen landscape. As far as editing goes, it is VERY basic. You can "trim" videos. That is useful however, because how many times have you wanted to share a video from your smartphone and couldn't because of it's beginning or ending frames.

6) Compass -- The built-in digital compass works just like a magnetic needle compass and can instantly let you know which way you’re facing. (See video below)

7) Voice Control -- Voice Control recognizes the names in your Contacts and knows the songs on your iPod. Also voice control supports a host of languages... Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (China), Chinese (Taiwan), DutchEnglish (UK), English (U.S.), FinnishFrench (Canada), French (France), German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Spanish (Mexico), Spanish (Spain) and Swedish

8) Nike + iPod -- More details here

2. iphonecrazyful macrumors member

Number 7 doesn't count. The 3G has copy and paste.

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

They are not all features:

5) is a by product of improved hardware.
    7) is an operating system feature... look I can do copy and paste on my iPhone...I must have a 3G... but it has a silver and black back, so it can't be a 3G S!

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Yeah. About #7. That's 3.0 - not hardware related. Any iPhone user that downloads OS 3.0 has cut/copy/paste - not just 3GS

6. iDeve1oper thread starter macrumors member

Good points will make edits. Do you think #1 can be split into 3? CPU, GPU and RAM?

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Actually - this has been posted and is available in several places.. so I don't think it's even necc. But that's just my .02

8. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

7 is not exlusive, every device with 3.0 gets it, otherwise pretty much there.

9. jontucker macrumors 6502

Number 4 is slightly misleading. What the 3GS has that the previous models don't is a magnetometer. Apple has provided the compass application which uses that sensor but for most people it will be completely redundant.

However, there will be other applications that use that sensor that people will be much more excited about such as augmented reality.

10. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Umm... It could I suppose. You'd be off the point though. The "feature" of those improvements is an increase in speed. That's about it. So you can take off the safari one, take off the Cut, Copy & Paste one and make this title 6. :D

11. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

My 3G works well, don't gain a whole lot, I'll wait for the next gen, then it might be worth the cost.

12. megadon macrumors 6502

what about how you can pull down the screen when you're in the mail app or itunes to get the search feature at the top..

I'm not sure if the 3G has that, cuz my friend has an older iphone with 3.0 on it and he doesn't have the search pull down option

Attached Files:

13. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

No, all 7 iphones on 3.0 have that feature.

14. megadon macrumors 6502

so even the original 2G iphone with 3.0 will have that feature?

I'm not talking about the actual search, I was talking about the pull down search within the itunes app..

just curious because my friends 2G doesn't do that, or I guess he's just an idiot who cant figure it out..

15. Che Castro macrumors 603

and video recordin

16. aluren macrumors 65816

I thought we found this out at WWDC two months ago... :confused:

17. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

With Cycorder, yea. That's not the same though. Then you might as well take MMS off there because Original iPhone users have been able to use MMS on jailbroken phones for years. :p

18. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Good list. But re-affirms my choice in NOT upgrading. I see things on there that are nice, but none are worth upgrading for.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate to ask this but why this thread now - its old news.

Its not anything new and in fact these items were discussed ad nauseam when the 3gs hit the street.

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

21. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

9) Bigger hard drive.
    10) Super sweet more visible iPhone logo on the back (main selling point for me)

22. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

wwjd knew this:) all the time

23. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Ummm what?

24. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX