8+ for a year or X for two

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryan214, Nov 10, 2017.

1. ryan214 macrumors newbie

I’m currently on the AT&T Next plan and ready to upgrade my iPhone 7. However I’m debating between two options - either getting the 8+ and keeping it for a year, or going with the X but keeping it for two years. The rationale behind this is to keep the monthly installment roughly the same no matter which way I️ go. Anyone have any suggestions? Either way I️ go, it’ll be a nice improvement over my current phone.

2. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I can’t comment on the finance part of the decision. But I would recommend you spend a little time with the X before thinking about the 8. I chose the X and after 5 days could not imagine picking anything else. This phone is something special. At least give it a look.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The IPhone 8 wouldn't be a huge upgrade from your iPhone 7 in terms of features. But the iPhone 8 Plus does offer the 1080 P display, larger battery, and dual camera.

However, the iPhone X as you know is a completely different experience with Face ID, gestures, new display, etc.

If you're looking for an entirely different experience, I would opt with an iPhone X if it's in your price point range. But being that you're considering the iPhone 8+ over your iPhone 7 (4.7), you would notice differences there as well with the size.

I think it depends how much of a difference being is that you want with whatever phone you decide to upgrade to. The iPhone 8+ is going to be a similar form factor and capabilities as your iPhone 7, as the iPhone X will be entirely different.

I would say the iPhone X would be my decision, but I would suggest maybe getting more hands-on with iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X before your purchase. Otherwise, you would have 14 days.

4. MacWins macrumors regular

MacWins

I would definitely get the 8+ and keep it for a year, next year the X line will be optimized and the Face ID well integrated in all app development/transaction!
    At least it’s what i decided for myself, more likely.

5. KrisLord macrumors 65816

Why do you want the + sized phone?

It was a great option when there was no alternative large screen phone, now the X is here I’m less convinced it’s the right choice.

Most people on here who think the X is a bit small, are coming from a plus. If we’d had the option of an X size years ago we’d not have the same complaints :)

I had a 7 plus last year and whilst the extra width of the 7plus was good, I love my X.

6. DavidMc macrumors member

Having moved from the 6s plus to the 8 plus last month, I was definitely use to having a large brick of a phone. But when my wife Note 4 started to really act up I got enticed by the X and picked on up last Saturday. Its a great device but for me, the screen size is a step back and something I cannot live with. The problem for me was the width which is closer to to the 8 vs the 8 Plus. So instead of keeping the X for a few years I am going to box it back up and return it today then pick up a 64gb 8 plus for the wife and keep the original 256gb 8 plus I picked up a month ago. I will look again next year when the new models come out.

Try the X in store or take it home for a test drive. Only then can you really answer the question as there are areas you will have to adjust to when coming from the plus models