Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eazy Kamikaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2021
Hi! I have a MBP 13" early 2011 and I bought 2 x 8 GB memory modules to replace the 2 x 4 GB. The thing is that I don't see any difference with twice the memory... when I'm scrolling down 5 secondes online the fan starts and it starts lagging. I have an SSD 500 GB with 50 GB free, and it's a 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7. ...it's 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 from GB Micro Electronics... I was wandering if maybe those were not "good"?! I paid 57$ each (CAN) they were the only ones available at Staples... But I can't even find them on their website... there was nothing on it either to identify them : Kingston or Intel or whatever... I know the lagging thing could be other things but I keep my computer clean and there's no extension in Safari or other things, no adblock, no antivirus... and it's the same with Safari and Chrome...

07a7824bf5f7afb366c6a999ba9cc52cf2f5216b_square2405756_1.jpg

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
When your Mac is lagging, check in your Activity Monitor to see if any process is using a lot of CPU time.
Probably not a memory issue, but you can also check in your Activity Monitor/Memory tab for any issues with THAT.
(Make sure that your Activity Monitor is set to show "All Processes", and not just "My Processes"

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
also check the system information to make sure your MacBook is reading these sticks under "memory"
there were time  owners did not insert the RAM cards in correctly.
the brand is generic meaning someone made this for GB which should work tho, just not as strong as kingston or samsung etc.

Reactions: Eazy Kamikaze

Eazy Kamikaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2021
When your Mac is lagging, check in your Activity Monitor to see if any process is using a lot of CPU time.
Probably not a memory issue, but you can also check in your Activity Monitor/Memory tab for any issues with THAT.
(Make sure that your Activity Monitor is set to show "All Processes", and not just "My Processes"
Yeah maybe it's the CPU... it goes at 104%++ when I scroll down on Facebook... Memory is at 800-900 mb, crazy that your processor is fast and deal with those tasks easily for years but now it's not strong enough to deal with that anymore... thanks!

Eazy Kamikaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2021
also check the system information to make sure your MacBook is reading these sticks under "memory"
there were time  owners did not insert the RAM cards in correctly.
the brand is generic meaning someone made this for GB which should work tho, just not as strong as kingston or samsung etc.
Yeah he sees them fine, I think it's my 2.7 ghz Intel Core i7 that reached it's limit. Thanks

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You’ve got a 10 year old Sandy Bridge CPU. Those systems can’t really take advantage of more than 8GB before the CPU becomes the bottleneck.

Reactions: Eazy Kamikaze

Eazy Kamikaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2021
You’ve got a 10 year old Sandy Bridge CPU. Those systems can’t really take advantage of more than 8GB before the CPU becomes the bottleneck.
Yeah I think you’re right... but it was still very fast until last year or so... what would you suggest for a more recent MacBook Pro that I could put my SSD and 16gb RAM in?

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Yeah I think you’re right... but it was still very fast until last year or so... what would you suggest for a more recent MacBook Pro that I could put my SSD and 16gb RAM in?
None as the last upgradeable MacBook Pro was the Mid 2012 non retina Pro which wouldnt be much of an upgrade at all so barely worth the time and effort.

Your best bet and its not a clean solution would be to get a new MacBook and a USB caddy for your drive, although storage costs on a modern machine will be killer I’m afraid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.