Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
Thanks to ayeying's testing of a 4 gb module, I bought an 8 gb SO-DIMM kit and installed it in my 2.4 gHz MBP/Santa Rosa. All 8 gb are seen and for the half-hour or so that I've been using it there have been no problems. I notice no performance lag or the such (if anything, it seems a bit snappier).

I have not tried Parallels or Fusion, which seem to cause a problem for one blogger.

If there are any 64-bit apps available for free or demo that would be a fair test of 64-bit memory mapping, I'd be happy to run them to test the memory.

But so far, it sure looks like a MBP - and probably MB and iMac - built on Santa Rosa can utilize 8 gb of RAM.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 349
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 146

adamjohn_98

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
Wow, that's fantastic news thanks for sharing!

It's nice to know that 4GB isn't the ceiling for RAM upgrades.

Keep us posted on overall responsiveness

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Your system's probably snappier because you restarted. You're not using much memory as it is....

And when you hit over 4GB, your comp will crash.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
Your system will crash when you actually start using more than 4 GB of RAM.

And when you hit over 4GB, your comp will crash.

Well, I cannot tell you if it'll crash because I opened every app on my MBP and it only used 3.45 gb of real RAM. But I can tell you that at around 3 gb, things slowed downed dramatically. So, is that a function of 32 bit addressing, or because I had so many apps (probably around 60 or 70) open, or a combination of both? Since all of these apps are 32 bit, how would a 64-bit app (such as Light Room) do beyond 4 gb? I've dl'd the LR trial - how could I use it in an attempt to breach that 4 gb point?

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Well, I cannot tell you if it'll crash because I opened every app on my MBP and it only used 3.45 gb of real RAM. But I can tell you that at around 3 gb, things slowed downed dramatically. So, is that a function of 32 bit addressing, or because I had so many apps (probably around 60 or 70) open, or a combination of both? Since all of these apps are 32 bit, how would a 64-bit app (such as Light Room) do beyond 4 gb? I've dl'd the LR trial - how could I use it in an attempt to breach that 4 gb point?

That's because you had 60-70 apps.... 32-bit addressing is fine for everything < 4GB.

Open Photoshop and create a big document (1GB) and then work with it. You'll crash.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
Open Photoshop and create a big document (1GB) and then work with it. You'll crash.

OK, I generated a 32-bit HDR image of 200" x 100" and that gave me a file of 1.5 gb in size. I was able to "work" with it without crashing. But it was very slow. After quitting Photoshop, the speed of the system returned to normal. Is this slowness a function of CS3 being 32-bit, or simply that the 2.4 gHz C2D has trouble with images this size?

Attached is a screen shot of the RAM use. Does "Active" need to exceed 4 gb for it to crash? It would seem that if 4.4 gb is "Used" then I'm beyond the 4 gb limit?

Attachments

• grab.jpg
    grab.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 166

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Thanks to ayeying's testing of a 4 gb module, I bought an 8 gb SO-DIMM kit and installed it in my 2.4 gHz MBP/Santa Rosa. All 8 gb are seen and for the half-hour or so that I've been using it there have been no problems. I notice no performance lag or the such (if anything, it seems a bit snappier).

I have not tried Parallels or Fusion, which seem to cause a problem for one blogger.

If there are any 64-bit apps available for free or demo that would be a fair test of 64-bit memory mapping, I'd be happy to run them to test the memory.

But so far, it sure looks like a MBP - and probably MB and iMac - built on Santa Rosa can utilize 8 gb of RAM.

Sorry, your not the first. This guy keith combs did it back in July!!

http://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs...ing-my-apple-macbook-pro-with-8gb-of-ram.aspx

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm still waiting for any non-photoshopped picture of Activity Monitor on a MBP, showing it actually using more than 4GB of RAM. Every Activity Monitor screen shot I see of 4+GB MBPs shows more than 4GB free, which means the system is not using the added RAM. The only proof that the MBP can address and use more than 4GB is to show the excess actually being used.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sorry, your not the first. This guy keith combs did it back in July!!

http://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs...ing-my-apple-macbook-pro-with-8gb-of-ram.aspx

Yes, I know. That was the blog I was referring to in my original post. He only stated he had problems with virtualization. He did not elaborate (as far as I can tell) on performance with day to day activities.

I'm still waiting for any non-photoshopped picture of Activity Monitor on a MBP, showing it actually using more than 4GB of RAM. Every Activity Monitor screen shot I see of 4+GB MBPs shows more than 4GB free, which means the system is not using the added RAM. The only proof that the MBP can address and use more than 4GB is to show the excess actually being used.

1. Oops, I see the screen shot did not post - will fix now.
2. My MBP has 3.59 gb of Free memory, which is less than 4 gb.

The biggest problem is that I have no 64-bit apps, so none of my programs can go beyond 4 gb by themselves. But the sum total of system usage appears to be more than 4 gb.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
OK, I generated a 32-bit HDR image of 200" x 100" and that gave me a file of 1.5 gb in size. I was able to "work" with it without crashing.

So wanna send me the file so I can test. :p

The biggest problem is that I have no 64-bit apps, so none of my programs can go beyond 4 gb by themselves. But the sum total of system usage appears to be more than 4 gb.

Isn't Photoshop 64-bit?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
So wanna send me the file so I can test. :p

Yeah, that'd cause grief with the servers, eh? :) It was pretty easy to make - I just opened three 16-bit PSD images as HDR in PSCS3, then increased the canvas size to 200" x 100", then copied and pasted the 32-bit HDR several times. Got up to 1.5 gb in rather short order - but it was painfully slow when it got around 1 gb or so.

Isn't Photoshop 64-bit?

Nope, and won't be until CS5 on the Mac side (CS4 on Windoze)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yeah, that'd cause grief with the servers, eh? :) It was pretty easy to make - I just opened three 16-bit PSD images as HDR in PSCS3, then increased the canvas size to 200" x 100", then copied and pasted the 32-bit HDR several times. Got up to 1.5 gb in rather short order - but it was painfully slow when it got around 1 gb or so.

I see. I don't have any HDR files, so wanna help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.