8 gb RAM for macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khurr11, Apr 19, 2011.

1. khurr11 macrumors newbie

okay fellas, anyone tried 8 gb in their 2009 15 " mac book pro? If so can you post results?

Here are complete specs:
    Processor speed: - 2.53 GHz
    Processor Type: - Intel Core 2 Duo (Penryn)
    Number of Cores: - 2
    Bus Speed: - 1067 MHz
    Cache: - 6 MB L2 cache
    64-bit Support: - Yes

Installed RAM: - 4 GB (2x2)
    Max. Amount: - 4.0 GB
    Amount of Slots: - 2
    RAM Speed: - 1067 MHz
    RAM Type: - PC3-8500, DDR3, SO-DIMM

I've heard that the Nuram can cause flicker. Anyone??

2. sab165 macrumors member

sab165

I have 8 gigs Apple memory in my Mid-09', and it runs like a charm. You do mean the MBP5,3 right?

3. Cpt.N00B macrumors newbie

get one from OWC, they offer online help on choosing compatible ram for your mac, and not expensive. Check your activity monitor before upgrading, you might not need it.

But if you are looking for speed boost, more ram will not help (only when doing lots of heavy tasks, which is not often for normal users and when I say heavy, I mean Adobe Promiere pro cs5, After Effect CS5, Photoshop and more all running together). If you are looking for general boost in speed check out Solid State Drives.

4. khurr11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys.

Yeah I do run heavy tasks, so I think this is my best option. I wouldn't consider myself a normal user though I am a recording engineer, so I run Pro Tools, Logic, and even Final cut, sometimes individually and sometimes altogether. So far I haven't had tooo much of a problem.

So im not really looking for speed per say, but more of the lines of a stronger capability to run multiple programs, and programs that require lots of memory usage.

If and when I do this, ill have a step by step as I go along.

Thanks again.