8 GB RAM in 2009 WhiteBook 2.13?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ThomasJL, Apr 19, 2011.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

I have not tried this, but according to everymac your macbook supports 4GB by apple and up to 6Gb has worked. I do not think 8GB will work in your machine.

3. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

I have the same MacBook as you. I have read on the apple forums that it works. I actually ordered 8GB for mine last week and should have it any day now. I will post back soon as I have it installed.

Here is the link to apple forums.

4. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, msjones! I am looking forward to your post. :)

5. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

The tracking says its out for delivery which is good news. Watch this space.

I keep checking back to that apple link I posted but their forums seem to be offline at the moment. Typical.

6. Taildragger-J3 macrumors newbie

I just picked up an older MacBook with Intel Core2 Duo processor but the info screen says it's a MacBook 4,1. I can't find a BIOS upgrade listed for it. Am I just out of luck?

7. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

The ram arrived today, finally. I will report back once it's installed and let you know how it runs.

8. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds good, msjones! Just out of curiosity, what brand of RAM did you get?

9. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

The ram is from crucial.

I have installed the ram and the machine has booted up fine and is running smooth. I've not yet seen a freeze or a kernel panic. However I am yet to try going past 6gb.

I am about to go away for easter holidays but I will be taking my MacBook with me so I will try and push the ram to its max using a few virtual machines and other apps and let you know of any issues.

But so far so good :)

10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

How much do you have now? And how much are you coming from? And besides from running smooth are there any noticeable differences? I'm using an 08 BlackBook with 4gb and wouldn't mind upping the ram to allow smother gameplay using Parallel Desktops ;)

11. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

msjones,

Thank you for your feedback. :)

What version of 10.6 are you using? I mean, are you using 10.6.7 or a different version of 10.6? Also, when you go to the Apple menu at the top left corner of the screen and scroll down to Software Update, are there any available updates you have not installed yet?

12. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Everything is up to date an I am running 10.6.7 and Lion dev preview. The laptop is still running smoothly with no panics or crashes as of yet. Its looking like the MacBook 5,2 can support 8th ram with no issues.

Young Spade, I am not sure how much ram the blackbook will take, you may already be maxed out at 4th but I may be wrong.

13. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Yea I probably did; actually going and getting more RAM for the thing isn't likely though, more of the lines of wishful thinking :)

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Your blackbook maxes out at 6GB. One 2GB and one 4GB. Check your page ins/outs in Activity Monitor after a days normal usage (no reboots) to see if you need more. A ratio of less than 10:1 indicates that more memory may be beneficial to you.

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Yea that's what I thought but I didn't know for sure; after checking though the ratio is something around 20:1 from just looking so I doubt I'd need it. Thanks for the information :)

16. ThomasJL, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

That seems like good news. Thanks, msjones, for your feedback.

So, with 8GB of RAM in your MacBook, do you notice it running any faster than when it had only 4GB?

By any chance, would you happen to have a link to the Web page of the specific RAM sticks you bought from Crucial?

17. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Sorry for the late reply, not had chance since I got back.

Here is there link to the RAM I am running: http://goo.gl/zoDEt

It is corsair not crucial, my bad. Still not seeing any problems :)

18. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

According to http://lowendmac.com/macbook/macbook-white-may-2009.html only 6GB is recognized by the machine.

Does your macbook tell you 8GB is installed and does it utilize all 8GB?
    Not doubting just curious.

19. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

I know I read the same thing about my system only supporting 6GB. However I found someone over on the the apple boards with the same machine running 8GB and since its a cheap upgrade I went for it.

The MacBook recognises all 8GB.

Here is the link to the apple discussion.

20. aleXXXps macrumors member

21. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

msjones,

I think you mentioned that you previously had 4 GB in your MacBook5,2. Now that you have 8 GB in it, do you notice any speed increase during common tasks, such as starting up your computer, Web browsing, using Microsoft Office, etc.?

22. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I would also like to know too.

But to provide some input on your question, having 4 gigs of RAM in mine (thinking about going to 6) I think it helps out most if you have a lot of applications running at the same time.

Right now I have Two panes of Firefox open, one has about 10 tabs and the other 3. I have two applications created by Fluid for G. Voice and RIL. Then I have iTunes and Excel open as well. I use spaces to keep everything organized.
    I think the RAM helps in keeping my computer fast; if I were to go and open Word or Chrome or Twitter or something else, the computer wouldn't slow down.
    However when I'm running Parallels and XP/7 on top of the OS and then try to do things, I can check the ram and see about 20 megs full; of course when I see this the computer lags a little when opening applications, trying to manage the memory.

Hope that helps :) Of course I'd love to hear what the other guy has to say as I haven't used the computer with only 2 gigs.

23. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

To be honest I have not noticed any speed gains with boot times, app loading etc over my previously installed 4GB.

I have noticed however the machine does not stutter as it used to when I have 3 virtual machines open, chrome with 5+ tabs, iTunes and dreamweaver all running. For me the upgrade to 8GB was all about allocating more ram to my virtual machines.

However, I am running into boot issues when trying to boot into Lion. I get kernel panics before making the desktop. This does not happen with 4GB installed, but as its still in testing stage im confident issues will be resolved.

24. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Just a quick update on this, I have been having troubles getting Lion Dev 4 to boot with 8GB installed. Seems to work fine with 4GB. I will wait till the final release and test again.

25. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

msjones,

Have you installed the latest version of Lion? If so, does it have any trouble with the 8GB RAM?