8 GB RAM in new WhiteBook 2.13?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ThomasJL, Jun 17, 2009.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Will the new WhiteBook 2.13 support 8 GB of RAM?

If not, will Snow Leopard enable it to support 8 GB of RAM?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The maximum RAM capacity has nothing to do with the OS, as Leopard is already able to address more than 8GB today, even Tiger was on older PowerMac G5s.

It's a matter of the chipset used, and if Apple has used one with the maximum capacity of 4GB, it will stay 4GB till death does you apart.

It's also to distinguish the MBs form the new MBPs.

3. Nobita macrumors 6502

But going back to the question, I think the answer is no...

By the way, how about unibody Macbook (non-pro)? I think someone claimed that unibody MBP 15" can take 6GB even though Apple said they can only take 4GB, is this right? If so, would the unibody macbook does this too?

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

The unibodies can use 6GB of RAM, but this stops it working in Dual Channel mode, which is much faster.

5. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I've heard 6GB is the max before...I don't know though for sure, this is just what I read on here awhile back.

CrackBookPro:cool:

6. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I don't really see much of a point in putting that much ram in a WhiteBook...you're don't have the processing power to even have that many applications open at once. Not to mention that 4GB DDR2 SODIMMs are virtually nowhere to be found....and when you do find them, they're way too expensive.

7. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

The max in the unibody macbook is 8 Gb, source: ifixit.com
    It only requires a little firmware update from Apple, maybe it will be included in Snow Leopard so the Unibody MacBook users can get 8 Gb of ram when it gets cheaper. But the chipset does support up to 8 Gb of ram.

8. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is the same chipset being used in the WhiteBook 2.13?

9. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

I believe it is the same.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Not necessarily.

Almost every benchmark I've seen where more RAM is beneficial (meaning 2GB would be a limiting factor, but 3GB would not be a limiting factor) has the effect of more RAM > dual-channel mode.

If you're using all 4GB of RAM, or close to it, you'll get better performance by having 6GB in single channel mode.

11. Nobita macrumors 6502

Can you link me to that page? AFAIK ifixit says that it support only up to 4gb? http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/MacBook_Unibody#Section_Upgrades

Or.. are we talking about different laptops? there's only one iteration of unibody macbook so I can't be wrong, can I? =)

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No. The Unibody MacBooks now use nVidia chips instead of Intel chipsets that are found in your WhiteBook.

13. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

They officially support 4GB. Then do support 6GB no issue. The chipset and OS support 8GB, but the firmware limits this to create an artificial divide between the regular MB and the MB Pro.

14. Nobita macrumors 6502

Really, the firmware limits it? Then at one point (or with a hack) unibody macbook will be able to support 8gb too? where did you get this from?

15. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

If that is the case, what would you guess is the likelihood of Snow Leopard allowing all 8 GB to be addressed?

16. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Go look at the 9400M chipset specs. 8GB. In the MBP it's still the 9400M chipset and 8GB isn't a problem so long as you're above the 2.4ghz model.

10.5 has been shown to work with 8GB in the MBP and the MacPro, so it's not a software issue. What else is left other than firmware?

Hopefully that'll do it. Really, it won't affect me as 2GB is fine for my day-to-day, and 2x4GB is pretty $$$ still. Again though, if it's a firmware limitation, that is separate from the OS installation.

17. Nobita macrumors 6502

Is this what you'rea talking about: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9400m_g_us.html ? I don't see any 8gb mentioned in there...

And I have the 2.0Ghz model anyway so probably it won't work for me? I thought the 2.0Ghz and 2.4Ghz model uses the same chipset.

But having 8GB work in MBP doesn't neccesarily mean it works in unibody MB, right? MacPro can theoretically support 32GB anyway isn't it?

18. Nobita macrumors 6502

@NewMacbookPlz: Btw we have the same macbook... the collector's edition!!

19. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That page you linked to use to show RAM support I thought, perhaps not. Either way, all the MB and MBP models now use the 9400M chipset. Granted, it also shows 3.0Gbps SATA interface, but we now know the 13" MBP doesn't have that :p

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

All MacBooks have been using the 9400M G in some manner for months now. Even the white plastic ones.

21. Nobita macrumors 6502

Apple themself said that unibody MB can only support up to 4GB.. (http://support.apple.com/kb/SP500), but I suppose it might really be 6GB or 8GB. I'll ask a genius next time I go to the apple store.

BTW on the other hand, is there any limitation on hard disk? Can I just pop whatever fits in my unibody MB? 500gb, 1tb, 512gb ssd, and so on will fit? I'm talking about products that might not have existed when Apple released this laptop...

22. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i don't understand why people buy the computer at the very bottom of the totem pole and then want a pro upgrade like 8GB available.

if you REALLY need to utilize up to 8GB of RAM, then don't get a computer that has a 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo in it.

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

48-bit LBA has been standard for years now. The Quicksilver 2002 and original iMac G4 had it.

RAM is cheap and time isn't.

24. Nobita macrumors 6502

Btw I have just realised that Apple sells ram for unibody MB: http://store.apple.com/us/memorymodel/ME_13_2_0_MB_G5

There is a really easy explanation for this. Size of memory and hard disk doubles every year or so, yes? Their price drops every now and then, right? Then why not wait until it's cheap before buying big HDD and RAM?

We can live with 2GB and 160GB for now, but how long will it last?

25. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Plenty of people around here have been able to setup 6GB without issue on the Unibody models. As for the HDD, I think the upper limit of 48-bit LBA like Eidorian mentioned is something way up there, like 137 petabytes or something.