Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Hey i m facing a dilemma

due to my limited budget, i have to choose either updating RAM, 4 up to 8 gb or getting bigger SSD

128 GB SSD + 8 GB RAM

or 256 SSD + 4 GB RAM

what do you think?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hey i m facing a dilemma

due to my limited budget, i have to choose either updating RAM, 4 up to 8 gb or getting bigger SSD

128 GB SSD + 8 GB RAM

or 256 SSD + 4 GB RAM

what do you think?
It really depends on your particular needs. You could always store additional files on an external drive, if needed, but you can't add more RAM after purchase. While 4 GB of RAM may be be suitable for your needs, I probably lean toward getting 8 GB.

Comment

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I currently have a 2013 i7/8g/512gb MBA but previously had a 2011 i5/4g/256gb MBA (4gb and 256gb were maximum you could get in 2011). Really, I was very happy with that machine and I ran Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Photoshop, VectorWorks and other professional software with no problem.

If it were me, I would get the 256gb SSD because I want to keep as much as possible onboard. And if I'm editing video it's especially nice to have enough space for a project or two.

Others will point out that the SSD is user upgradable but RAM is not. This is very true, however personally I don't think an SSD upgrade makes sense financially unless prices have dropped a lot, and I'm not sure if anyone even offers one for the 2013 models yet.

For me, 128gb just wouldn't be enough for what I want to keep on the laptop so that would be the deciding factor. But you need to decide that for yourself.

Comment

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
It really depends on your particular needs. You could always store additional files on an external drive, if needed, but you can't add more RAM after purchase. While 4 GB of RAM may be be suitable for your needs, I probably lean toward getting 8 GB.
It also depends on how long you plan on keeping the MacBook Air.

If you're going to swap it out for a newer model in a couple of years, the 4GB RAM might be adequate. However, future versions of OS X will likely have more memory requirements, leaving less free memory available for running applications.

If you plan on keeping your Air until Apple obsoletes it from the OS X upgrades, you'll probably want to go with the 8GB version, since you can't upgrade RAM.

Comment

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
I went with the bigger RAM. However, I do keep music off of my main drive, and often carry an external hard drive.

Basically, my disk looks like this:
25G for OS including swap and sleep files
25G for applications
5G for mail
20G for documents
5G in downloads that vary more or less in size

Comment

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Storage can be expanded with external drives. RAM cannot. I would vote RAM if I had to make that choice. It does depend on your specific needs, since 4GB of RAM is fine. I run multiple VMs so I wanted 8GB. YMMV.

Comment

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Hey i m facing a dilemma

128 GB SSD + 8 GB RAM

or 256 SSD + 4 GB RAM

what do you think?

I think you should either buy a 256/8GB on refurb OR save for a couple more months or so. I think both the 128/8 and the 256/4 will be limiting in the long run. Kinda like getting a 16GB iPad. But that's just me...

Comment

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Storage can be expanded with external drives. RAM cannot. I would vote RAM if I had to make that choice. It does depend on your specific needs, since 4GB of RAM is fine. I run multiple VMs so I wanted 8GB. YMMV.

Quoted for truth and clarity.

Comment

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
+1 for RAM.

You can have an external HD, you can't have external RAM.

Note: First person who says you can theoretically add ram with some external TB contraption gets slapped.

Comment

Jonathanchasr

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
NJ
RAM or more Storage answer

Depends on what tasks you will be doing on that computer, If you will have more programs running at once then more RAM will be better and remember the RAM is soldered onto the board so you cannot upgrade in the future however the SSD is replaceable. If you do regular tasks such as web browsing, email and just documents then none of the upgrades are useful. More programs open means 8GB of RAM is more suited, if you have a lot of songs, photos and videos then the larger SSD will be a better choice. But you can always hook up a external hard drive to store your media. In my opinion I would choose 8GB of RAM due to the fact that I already have all of my media files stored in multiple hard drives.

Comment

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
i ll pick 8 GB of ram because i m eventually going to buy an external drives
my basic needs dont require so many space
and i will keep my purchase for a long long time, over 3/4 years

Comment

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
i ll pick 8 GB of ram because i m eventually going to buy an external drives
my basic needs dont require so many space
and i will keep my purchase for a long long time, over 3/4 years

You have chosen wisely.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,397
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.