8 GB RAM Upgrade Issue on mid 2010 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mja271, Jan 26, 2015.

1. mja271 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody, looking for some help if possible.

I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro that's starting to show it's age a bit, so I asked for some new RAM sticks for my bday to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB. When doing the install last night, everything seemingly went fine until I started up the machine. I put in the 8GB, and when I go to start up the laptop, I get the Apple logo and the progress bar will make it about 1/3 of the way through before the screen goes black and then restarts the process. It just gets caught in a loop.

Thinking the RAM might be faulty, I messed around with it in different ports as well as mixing and matching with the old RAM. Basically each of the 4GB sticks works in either slot paired with one of my old 2GB sticks to give me 6GB, which is actually working nicely and showing a noticeable improvement, but I cannot get both 4GB sticks to work for the full 8GB of RAM that I was looking for.

Any idea what the deal is with this?

2. mzb macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same experience yesterday. What speed are your 4GB sticks?

In my case I was trying to use 1333 MHz sticks because that's what I had available, and I figured the MBP would just downclock (if that's a word) it to 1066 MHz. I had just put faster-than-spec RAM in a 2011 Mini with no problem, so I didn't expect a problem here.

But it seems that the MBP takes its cue from whatever is in the lower slot. I could not get it to boot with the 1333 MHz RAM unless the lower slot was either empty or filled with the older 1066 MHz RAM. So, like you, I could only get it to 6 GB, by using one of each. If the lower slot had the faster RAM, I got the exact same symptoms you describe: endless reboot loop after 1/3 progress bar on Apple logo screen. No amount PRAM or SMC resetting or safe booting helped.

I found somewhere on the web instructions for flashing the faster RAM so that the MBP sees it as 1066 MHz, but it required Windows so I haven't pursued that route. You might want to check that out, because the author of the post specifically did it to get the RAM to work in a 2010 MBP.

If your 4GB sticks are 1066 MHz, then you may be having a different issue, but the symptoms are identical so I thought I'd mention my experience in case it helps.