8 GB Vs. 16 GB (Vs. 32 GB)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redAPPLE, Jun 11, 2008.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

this thread might even be a sticky, if it works out as i planned :)

now that we have seen the new iPhone 3G and i want to disregard the subsidies, price, color, quality etc., i would like to ask you guys why choose between 8, 16 and possibly in the future, 32 and up.

i don't need to carry all my music, and if that is necessary, my old 4g iPod 20 gb should carry the essential music i would like to hear. i have an iPod mini 4 gb which i use more often and i just change playlists every few weeks.

so why would 8 gb, 16 gb and up not be enough? carrying 2-3 movies should be enough, not all photos will have to be brought with you (maybe 2 albums) and i believe at least, not everyone would want to bring their whole music catalog.

would i be buying, downloading all those apps from the app store?

discuss away...

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No amount of storage in any device will ever be "enough", surely we've all learnt that by now.

Technology moves forward, improves, costs come down, space requirements go up.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Remember, apps will take up room. Also, if it records video, that can take up room until you dump it. Personally, I don't like to burden my phone battery with iPod functions, but I still think that I will probably get the 16GB model. I also want to see the white one in person.

4. iWizzard macrumors regular

For Music 64GB will be more than enugh for me for manny, manny years. Even 32GB will most likley be enugh.

If someone developed a good streaming program where the first 5-10 sec of all your media(mp3,ogg,xvid,x264 etc) was synced/buffered on you Iphone, werry lilttle storage would be needed on the Iphone. The need to buffer media makes streaming, atleast music useless. With a tv eppisode I can accept a few second buffering. but with music I want to be able to quickley change song.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Not when everyone has dropped relatively crappy high compression codecs in favour of Apple Lossless or equivalent.

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I thought my iPod 3G 20Gb would do me forever. Then I thought the same of my iPod Photo with 30GB... same for my 60GB 5G and the 120GB Classic.

Music collections get bigger, and there are always new sources to add - music videos, films, tv shows... and now apps. As e says, no amount of storage will be enough.

PS - couldn't resist correcting your spelling. Sorry :p