8 GIG Ram Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by littfam, Jan 24, 2009.

1. littfam macrumors regular

Is it possible to introduce 8 gigs of ram on the the Montevina chipset that is in the new macbook Aluminum model. I was at ifixit.com and they say that it is possible? Anybody have any insight on this?

2. littfam thread starter macrumors regular

Ok.... Just found the answer to my own question. You can get two 4 gig modules at ramjet for the very low price of $1,150. Wow!

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

lol. yeah, what a deal, huh? The actual answer is "no". The most the systems can take is 6GB, a 2GB stick and a 4GB.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The only MacBook that can officially handle 8Gb Ram is the new UniBody MacBook Pro 17.
    The old Alu MacBook Pro's can only handle 4Gb (officially) and 6GB ifyou don't mind losing dual channel.
    You can install 8Gb in them but there's are issues regarding handling.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

or from Apple for $800.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'm not convinced this is true for the MacBook. All the 8 gb testing I've seen has been done on MBP and iMacs, which have dedicated vRAM. This may be confusing the chipset into thinking it has 8.256 gb of RAM. Since the MB uses shared vRAM it may be that it can take 8 gb. If I could get my hands on a SR MB I would test it myself, then I'd be convinced (one way or the other).