8 Gigs of RAM V 16 Gigs effect on fan noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VesselA, Jul 28, 2015.

1. VesselA macrumors regular

Does anyone know if the greater or lesser amount of RAM has an effect on fan noise?

In other words if you get more RAM is it likely to reduce the intensity of the processor and reduce the need for the fans to kick in or visa versa, or is it just about the same?

If there is more RAM enabling more processes I'm thinking it might cause the fans to kick in more often - I would rather go with lower RAM if it reduced the amount of fan noise

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Processes are processes, they pretty much run regardless of the amount of RAM. If you run out of physical RAM, the Mac will start reading/writing infrequently used parts of RAM to the SSD. I don't think processes are aware that this is happening, so they wouldn't be influenced by the amount of physical RAM that you have.

What really affects the fan is the heat created inside the Mac. Processes that work the processor will generate heat, which will cause the fan to run.

3. Niarlatop macrumors member

If you consider buying 16GB for this only reason, don't.
    Keep in mind that 16GB might even generates a bit more heat than 8GB, as there will be either more ram modules, or denser ram module in your computer.

In short, buy 16GB if you are sure you'll need it, otherwise, save your pennies.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

RAM has practically no effect on the fans, buy what you need.

5. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

It's equivalent somewhat to adding more horsepower because your car is overheating. There is an underlying issue that's still not being addressed and that's the root cause of why your computer is overheating to begin with.

6. zombiecakes macrumors regular

the thing that is causing the fans to kick in is most likely the summer heat

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

No effet whatsoever, I don't get why you'd think they're linked?

Kinda of like saying "If my handbrake doesn't work will it make my headlights fall off?".

8. VesselA thread starter macrumors regular

Because the fans kick in when the processor is taxed and at high function, which heats them up - more RAM could require an increase of processor activity for more apps running or the RAM could spread the load and prevent the processor requiring to work so hard - either scenario would have an effect on when and how intense the fans kick in

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Stuff still needs processed the amount of RAM will have no effect. RAM itself does not work it's just bucket all you're doing is giving your system a bigger bucket.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't imagine ram would effect heat and the fans. The only thing that will occur is the lack of swapping.

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

There would be no discernable effect.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's not how computers work.

RAM is just stuff waiting to be processed. Having more RAM just means you have the possibility of having a bigger queue of stuff to be processed, but in the end, it'll still be processed = same heat output.

13. VesselA thread starter macrumors regular

If you have more programs running using more RAM you also have the processor doing more work relaying things - with less RAM the computer isn't able to do more things simultaneously, but more RAM enables more things and hence more intensity of processor.

14. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

No. The processor can run flat out if required irrespective of RAM or the number of apps/processes running. With less RAM the Mac will swap to disk sooner but that isn't what generates heat, it is the processor processing (not "relaying things").

Qty RAM will have nearly no effect on processor load and hence heat and hence fans.

15. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Incorrect assumption. You are assuming that the RAM is working memory, if there's less RAM and the data required is not present, then the data would be loaded from the slower to access permanent storage (i.e. disk).

If we were running OS on the bare minimum of RAM (say 512MB) then yeah it might be true in some highly unlikely situations. 8GB vs 16GB? No chance.

16. VesselA thread starter macrumors regular

hmm, surely running more apps at the same time will put more pressure on the processor and it is the RAM that is enabling that greater use of apps

17. VesselA thread starter macrumors regular

so you saying the functioning of the RAM uses no computer processor power?

18. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The only difference you would notice (and that's assuming you've saturated your ram and a swap file is actively used) would be a reduction in hdd temperature.

19. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Define computer processor power?

Logically that job is performed by the Northbridge in the chipset, although since the Core i-series CPUs that once separate unit has been integrated onto the CPU die.

20. snaky69 macrumors 603

Again, that's not how computers work.

Think of the processor as an office worker, that has a known, set, pace. He can go from twiddling his thumbs to as fast as he can, on demand, up to that pace.

Think of the RAM as his desk. More RAM = Bigger desk. Having a bigger desk will not make him go any faster (thus output any more heat), it will simply allow you (the boss) to put more work in from of him.

If he ever runs out of desk space, he'll put some stuff on the back burner in the drawer (swapping to disk).

So, with that little analogy, I hope you understand that RAM will have no effect on heat output. And seriously, worrying about fan noise makes me chuckle. I'd rather hear them working than have my computer fry itself to an early grave.

21. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I like the "bigger desk" analogy. and have used it often over the years to describe the positive result that additional RAM provides.

I have heard the "more RAM, more heat" a few times, but I think it is just bunk.
    You get a balance. More RAM, more space (the larger desk!). You have more RAM, because you want to do your job more efficiently. If you don't have enough RAM for your work flow, then there's more swapping to hard drive (slow) storage. Your tasks take longer, and there's more heat generated (not just from the CPU.
    With sufficient RAM, then your work flow, which is already established, becomes more efficient, with less, or no file swapping. Jobs complete more quickly, or at least in a more efficient way for the computer. So, the CPU may work harder, but generally for less time, so less heat generated.
    Fans run because heat is generated by all the swapping that is going on when you don't have enough RAM.
    Fans run (probably less), because there is enough RAM to prevent swapping, and the CPU can do more pure CPU stuff, without needing to "send out laundry to the cleaner". Less frustration for you, as your task is completed more quickly.
    Fan noise, if needed at all, will be noticeable less often, and likely for shorter periods.

22. VesselA thread starter macrumors regular

your analogy makes no sense - if a computer has more programs running in the background that means the processor will have more work to do - I don't think you understand how computers work

and I would rather a silent computer than a constantly distracting racket - if only the new macbook had some decent power and was able to run logic pro smoothly

23. VesselA thread starter macrumors regular

more RAM means more programs can run simultaneously which means a greater use of the processor having to run more operations as the same time - pretty obvious

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

No more RAM doesn't mean more programs can run at the same time. More RAM means more programs stay in RAM.

25. chabig macrumors 68040

That is not correct. Everything the others are telling you is correct. How about this...the processor is the engine in your car, and the RAM is the gas tank. Having a larger gas tank doesn't make the car go faster.