8-hour layover in Philly. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Randman, May 13, 2010.

1. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Next week, I have about 8-9 hours free in Philadelphia between flights. I figure I'll have about 6 hours of that free to roam after travel from/to the airport and checking back in.

Looking for some suggestions for something to do/see during that time. It'll be a weekday. I've been to Philly just once before and that too was a short stay so the city is pretty much unknown. Thanks.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Train into the city. Should drop you off at that mall that is in downtown Philly. Should be a couple blocks from the Constitution/Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Always a good thing to see.

Pick up a real Philly Cheesesteak. Not from the known places, but from the kiosks on the street corners. I normally wouldn't say that about any place, but this is Philly. they are damn good. IIRC, on the riverside, the USS Delaware is still docked. May be worth a look there. But definitely take the train into the city. shouldn't be more than a 20 minute ride tops.

BL.

3. Randman thread starter macrumors 65816

Randman

Perfect. Thanks. Also good to know best way/time to get into city from airport.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not entirely sure on that one.. but there is only one train (that I remember) that goes to the airport from the station in downtown Philly. Any time should work.

Last time I took it was on 9/11/2002. National Airlines was offering $1 fares anywhere they flew. I wanted a philly cheesesteak, so I hopped a redeye from Vegas to PHL, got in at 8pm, walked around the city, bought my cheesesteak (If he's still there, I recommend the kiosk on the corner of 5th and Market St.), caught the 4:30 or so train back to the airport, caught the flight back to Vegas, and was home by 9pm.

Total cost of the day, including parking at the airport, train fare, and additional taxes from the airfare, and the cheesesteak: $34.

PHL's website should have something on train times..
    http://www.phl.org/ground_transportation.html#trains
    http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/air.html

BL.

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

There is a train that takes you right downtown, its either 4 or 6 dollars, shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour. Taxi is going to be mid 20's if I recall.

Lots to do, can go to old city and see all the sites like independence hall, liberty bell, betsy ross house, federal reserve.

Or just walk around downtown. There is no sales tax on clothes in PA. Couple of good restaurants are Morimotos (of iron chef fame), del friscos, buddakan, just depends on when you are here and your appetite. As said, the cart vendors aren't bad at all. However if you come here, everyone will ask if you got a cheesesteak from pats or geno's. Everyone has their favorite.