8 hours to transfer TM to retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marilynfan, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Marilynfan macrumors member

Marilynfan

So I turned on my retina and followed the instructions to transfer my backup from my time capsule. My old MacBook is dead so I have to use time machine. It is showing over 8 hours to transfer wirelessly which I am doing. There must be a better way but I don't see a way to cancel this. Esc doesn't work.

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

And this is why I am not convinced of the Time Capsules. I much prefer the regular AP Extreme base station with an external USB drive hooked up to it. At worst case I can plug it directly when doing a full restore.

In any case I don't think you can abort it, but you could try turning off your Time Capsule and see if it forces it to abort.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

At this point I wouldn't abort it or try to. Next time use a wire :D

4. Marilynfan thread starter macrumors member

Marilynfan

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

if I know I will be doing a restore I use time machine on a external drive so much faster then a tm.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Of course it takes a long time, it has to convert all your data to high resolution.

7. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

You can do exactly the same with a Time Capsule, with your choice of USB or Ethernet connection.

8. Marilynfan thread starter macrumors member

Marilynfan

Just thought I would follow up on how the transfer went. In case anyone else sticks to the wireless too. Yes, it took a long time but at least I didn't have to buy a cable :) I left it running overnight and in the morning all of my files were there.

I had a 2007 MBP and it died about 4 months ago so this has been a long wait for its replacement. I was so worried about not being able to get my wedding photos back but everything is there. It is like magic.

My only complaint is that I forgot some of the problems I was having on my old mac where I was getting keychain login requests for mail and random other times. I don't even know what the passwords are that it was asking for. Well that has carried over onto my retina.

I have no complaints with the machine itself. Screen looks perfect to me and I really don't find the "blurry" aspect of the internet to bother me at all in safari. The pics look about the same as I was used to before. The text is amazingly crisp. MS Office does suck but I'm planning to pick up iWork anyway when it is optizmed.

I have to say the most fun I am having so far is finally being able to take advantage of some iphone abilities. My old MPB was leopard so no wireless synching or photostream.

9. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

I recently set up a 13" 2012 MBP, and transferred all my stuff from an old 2009 iMac via wireless. That transfer took 16 hours, so I had to wait until the next afternoon to see if all went well. It did. Seemed like a long time, but I did some calculations and that was about 1.5MB/sec transfer rate, not bad over WiFi I suppose.

10. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

It does get a bit impractical with large volumes though. A cable will always be way faster. For example I moved last month between MBPs using Migration Assistant and it did 450GB in 2 hours which is about 65 MB/sec. I was completely up and running within two and a half hours. That was with an old Ethernet cable connected directly between them. Obviously you would need an adapter with the retina but I would get one if only for that. Last time round I did it from a Time Machine backup on a FW400 disk and it was much slower too.

11. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Believe me, once I got into the process and the files stared flowing, I wished I had wired my MBP to my iMac. When it initially said 16 hours, I smirked and waited it to go ... 15:30 ... 14:17 ... 12:10 but it didn't. It seems the guy who wrote the code for Apple's file transfer dialog could actually do math.

[​IMG]

12. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

13. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Time Capsules really aren't that bad, with the Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter it took less than a hour to restore my machine. If you are doing it over Wifi, slow speeds are to be expected and your best bet is to do what the OP did and let it run over night.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sounds about right.

15. heyimandy macrumors member

Yeah that's how long mine took. I don't see why people knock the time capsule so much... its just a backup... not part of your day to day workflow that's what your external to Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 is for.