iPad mini 8 inch is the perfect size for gaming

Discussion in 'iPad' started by srkmish, Jun 21, 2013.

1. srkmish macrumors regular

srkmish

Even though text seems a lil blurry on the mini, games on the other hand look absolutely gorgeous.

I downloaded real racing 3 yesterday and boy oh boy, the texture on the cars , the roads and environment all add up to an immersive experience. After playing on a 8 in screen and then going back to a 5in phone feels like "meh". I observe the shine of the car more, i take in the scenery more on the bigger tablet. Adding to the fact that it is so lightweight ,it makes for hours of gaming pleasure.

I have never enjoyed gaming so much as on my mini as compared to my previous psp and current android phone. 8 in size is perfect :)

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

3. J.Appleseed, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013

J.Appleseed macrumors regular

J.Appleseed

This.

You're saying "Woah, I was used to gaming on two ± 5" devices" so obviously bigger is better :rolleyes:

I find that, while my 'full-size' iPad certainly is heavier and larger than a mini, it makes up for that by having gorgeous graphics on the retina-display because of the quad-core GPU. So if you think that game looks good on your mini, you haven't seen it on the iPad 4 yet. It won't make your iPad mini look any worse but the game is just way more detailed on it. Look at the comparison some guy made of Real Racing 2 HD on both the iPad 2 (w/same internals as the mini) and 3

The extra screen real estate is also very handy because there is much more detail visible / items appear larger on the display. So in that way, "9.7 inch is the perfect size for gaming".
    Now, this obviously varies from person to person and this is why most of these statements are debatable.

I know you're probably really happy with your new iPad and you want to show/express that, it's perfectly normal, but I think these posts are becoming a bit too subjective/too much an attempt to rationalize, explain or 'justify' purchases.

Comparison: Real Racing 2 HD on iPad 2 (same CPU/GPU/resolution as mini) vs. iPad 3:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Just my two cents. I hope you enjoy your new iPad :)

4. srkmish thread starter macrumors regular

srkmish

Very interesting. Im actually about to buy an ipad 4 for pdfs and comics anytime soon. So ur post gives me much to look ahead to . I think ill get adjusted to the weight as others have pointed out

5. J.Appleseed macrumors regular

J.Appleseed

Well, yeah, it is heavier but not heavier if you know what I mean.

While there certainly is a difference on paper, that difference is hardly noticeable (when comparing to the iPad 2, that is). So in my opinion, the thickness and weight really isn't an issue because it's still quite the thin and light tablet.

And since it's more than twice as powerful as the iPad 2 and 3, that pretty much makes up for it, too ;)

6. neo1 macrumors newbie

I agree with OP. Playing a lot more games now. I prefer the mini size for gaming over my full size iPad 2 or 3. Especially driving games.

7. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

I think the Mini is preferable to a full sized iPad for games, but not because of the graphics. That's actually a minor tradeoff (come on, retina Mini!), but I think the decreased weight is a huge factor for a game that you intend to play for more than 5-10 minutes at a time.

For instance, one of my favorite iPad games is Kingdom Rush. In the more advanced levels, it can take 30 minutes just to get through one of them. So the significant decrease in weight is a godsend there.

Also, hats off to the Kingdom Rush devs. KR HD and Frontiers HD are the 2 best looking games on my mini. You can hardly tell it isn't retina with those 2.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I can hold the regular iPad with one hand. The larger screen is perfect for me for gaming.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yeah me too with iPad 2. :apple:

10. charlituna, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I would say in many cases, although it is prettier, it's not as good. A full sized iPad is a lot harder to handle and a lot less comfortable. It works well for apps that have a controller mode you can use either a Bluetooth controller or even your iPhone but wielding it directly not really.

11. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

While I agree that games on a Retina iPad have better graphics, I find it much more comfortable to game on an iPad mini (compared to a 9.7" iPad).