iPad 8" iPad the perfect size?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ApplePhy, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

I've been using the ipad mini for a year now, and the iPad air for a week.

When I first got the mini, I swore that this was the PERFECT form factor for the ipad. It was a joy to use and hold. The screen size was also adequate for everything I was used to doing on my ipad1. To be able to hold it for such prolonged periods of time due to the compact nature of the device made me want to use it for longer than I needed to. I would find excuses just to use it...

Having used the ipad air for a week now, I realized that screen size really does make a difference (not to mention that beautiful retina screen). It's a completely different experience compared to the mini...one that is immersive. Where the mini was adequate for web browsing, for example, the Air simply draws you in to what you're viewing...much like watching a movie on your 21" computer monitor and then turning around and watching that same movie on your 65" LED TV.

Having said this, there is a price to pay for this expansive and immersive screen experience. Though I agree that the ipad Air is incredibly thin and comfortable to hold...it doesn't shine a light to the weight of the mini. I wouldn't describe this one pound device as heavy, but it is a tad bit cumbersome to hold for extended periods compared to the mini. The screen is so big, it's hard to handle the device with such ease...others have described it as unwieldy...and I agree. With the mini, I could hold it for hours reading an ebook, and not even realize I was doing so.

I can't help but think maybe an 8" iPad would really be the PERECT form factor? Many of you suggested that shaving a few mm's from the top and bottom (also from the side bezels) of the Air would drastically improve the device. An extra inch would also improve the viewing experience for the mini.

Likewise, imagine stretching the mini just a few mm's in either direction, and adding an inch of screen real estate? Wouldn't this be the best of both worlds?

Any thoughts? Are people completely satisfied with the 9.7" screen size of the iPad Air at the expense of a noticeable difference in being able to handle the device compared to the mini?

2. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

Not sure if serious...the iPad mini is a 7.9" screen already.

3. ApplePhy thread starter macrumors 6502

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'm not sure changing the mini to be a tenth of an inch bigger would change that much. Or in other words we already have an eight inch iPad.

5. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

That 1/10 of an inch is the key.:)

6. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

Here's the obligatory: every inch counts!

(That's what she said)

7. scupking macrumors 6502a

Since the mini is already an 8" screen I will say I think 9" would be great. Or 8.8 whatever it would be.

8. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

by 2016, apple will have ipads at 6,7,8,9,10 inches

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Thank you, i have just listed my air on ebay and will wait for the 9" :eek:

10. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Most people, especially women, say 9" is just a bit too big. It can get painful with prolonged use and really requires your body to contort in unexpected ways. 8.5" is said to be the perfect size, but it is so rare to see one that size.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

I had a mini for the same year as the OP and I too thought it to be the perfect size.

But I did notice I was constantly zooming in and once I got the new air was happy that stopped.

For me, Ipad is all about weight. Been saying it for years and finally its clear Apple feels the same. Ipads are too heavy....and the goal should be the same weight as a magazine or pad of paper. Is that going to happen soon? No but it will.

The 1 pound air is a great step in the right direction and I expect the iPad 6 will shed another 1/4 to 1/2 pound totally negating the value-add of the mini.

While I will look at the iPad mini air when it comes out...I will likely stay with the ipad Air.