8" MacTablet design + GUI

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheMechanic, Jan 1, 2009.

1. TheMechanic macrumors regular

Hi!
    What do you think of my 8" MacTablet mock-up?
    I used GUI elements from Leopard and the iPhone to make this. It is kind of an extended iPhone/Touch OS.

Attached Files:

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

It's interesting. I like it, but as an actual product, I don't know how it would do. It seems like sort of a compromise based on existing elements. The best part about the iPhone's UI is that it was created specifically for the iPhone, which I think Apple will have to do (design something completely new based on existing architectures) in order to be successful.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Looks interesting. I would actually use OS X (not iPhone OS) but make it lighter. Some crap in Leopard is not needed for a tablet.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. Thanks for using the good name for it, though (MacTablet). :cool:

The MacTablet will need a full-size keyboard to be useful. anything between the size of the iPhone and 13.3" (like in my sig) is a dilution of the market.

5. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

This is really true. I agree that in order to create a game-changing new product (which is their style of late), a new OS specific to the device in question would be required. The other tablets already on the market have features added onto existing operating systems, but after an entire day of using one, the user is less than wowed by the performance.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I wonder if its possible Apple will release a product which is a hybrid of a table and a netbook, a tablet which has a slide out keyboard or something of the likes, that would be useful.

7. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I suppose this is possible. After all, it is Apple's style to, rather than release a, say, Netbook that one can get for cheap, make an extravagant, kind-of-like-what-people-want product that costs a lot.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Glad you know what the market wants....people have different needs and wants

With sales of Palm Pilots, Netbook, Subnotebooks, MIDS, UMPC, etc...there is without a question room for devices between iPhone and 13.3" laptops

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

We have those already. They're called laptops. There's a reason display and keyboard are not mounted on the same angle: it makes them damn awkward to use.

I don't think this is the right forum for this, though.

10. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Looks good! It just needs a few changes to seem realistic.

1. It needs to be OS X instead of iPhone OS if it's going to be considered a Mac (Leopard menu bar, normal dock)
    2. At the bottom of the touch screen, there will probably not be the Apple logo. Like MacBooks, it should be it's name. I think it won't be called the MacTablet but the MacBook Touch.

On the back, I think it will either be aluminum with the lit up Apple logo or black plastic like with a black logo (like the back of an iMac)

11. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Wow! That looks good, although a bit blurry.

I noticed it's a bit closer to Mac OS X than what I envisioned a mini-tablet to be, although I suppose your mockup would be well suited to a 8" display. I also like how you put mobile iWork in there, how about mobile iLife? Also, borders and shadows around the apps might make it look better.

Good work overall, looking forward to more mockups (maybe a full-size app, I'm interested in how you see mobile iWork, as the only other mockup I've seen of mobile iWork was literally desktop iWork copied and pasted into the mini-tablet) and some exterior views too.

12. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I think it looks pretty good, I think the 8" form is pretty much the largest I would like to go, it has to be thin though, like the Air. I would buy one tomorrow.

13. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

i think the dock may somewhat resemble the iphone/ipodtouch dock, but will be scrollable, where you can swipe it and hte dock will slide with the remaining apps or items on it...similar to the iphone app home screen, when it fills up you can swipe to the next set of apps.

and will probably incorporate a Spaces + iPhone Homescreen element when using multiple running applications where you can swipe the screen in certain ways to access a running application..which in theory would be useful..not sure how 100% practical it may be, dependn gon the way its built and the apps.

14. hhlee macrumors 6502

it looks sweet and i want one. i think you'd want a metal stand thing in the back so you could have the tablet stand up when you use the isight in teleconference.

i think it would also be sweet if there was a small fold out touch pane for a touchscreen keyboard. although that probably would never happen since it would force the keyboard in a certain configuration.

15. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Ye I agree with others, it would need a keyboard and then I would use it for note taking and all.

ChrisN

16. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I am not so sure about that. If it is used for writing with a pen-stylus and has a thumb keyboard it can do what is needed for note taking and low end web browsing.

The key is to get info INTO the computer fast enough. A tablet seen as a portable browsing/note taking device doesn't necessarily need a full keyboard.

But, it would help. I also believe something approaching 13.3" is far better than 4x iPhone size. A thin, small-ish monitor to lug around would be premium--no covers, no extra weight from hard keyboard, no optical drive, SSD, touch screen writing/manipulation.

17. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You can already buy a Macbook in tablet form, with touchscreen and the whole full monty, i don't know why people keep making threads on this issue.