Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zosobao5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Central Ohio
Topic - Retina Pro
So I was fortunate to come upon and open-box, never registered/ 2.3GHz/8gb/256ssd at a local Best Buy. I was originally looking out for the 2.6GHz /16gb/256ssd refurb from Apple.com.

I want to use a lot of the Adobe CS6 apps, including moderate video editing.

The price I got on the lower end model was $1740 (including tax). It seems like a pretty great machine. The mid-model from the Apple Store (including tax) is $2267. So, I am trying to determine if the .3GHz and 8GB RAM upgrade is worth the $532.00 cost.

I am having a difficult time finding any more information than, "it will be slightly faster and more future proof." This is my first mac, and I usually keep computers 3-5 years. Any advice. What would you do?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It's not 532 for 8gb of ram and .3ghz. There are other factors your missing.

It's a closed unit. Yes the ssd can be upgraded but that's it. Your paying for a machine that if you make a mistake on your own usage now your then stuck with or having to upgrade before you need/ want to.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Topic - Retina Pro

I am having a difficult time finding any more information than, "it will be slightly faster and more future proof." This is my first mac, and I usually keep computers 3-5 years. Any advice. What would you do?

This is a thread I started the other day. I got a lot of good answers and advice on "future proofing" and what model to buy.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1530569/

wabbit42

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
You will be able to do 300,000,000,000 more operations per second. It sounds like a lot, but you will only notice it in a few situations, such as video encoding, so it could be useful if you want to shave a few seconds off.

zosobao5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Central Ohio
I did see that thread, but it seemed to me more of a debate between the cMBP and rMBP. What did you ultimately decide?

I am really not sure if I will see any observable difference between the two rMBP configurations that I've mentioned.

This is a thread I started the other day. I got a lot of good answers and advice on "future proofing" and what model to buy.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1530569/

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Not to me, especially if you're not profiting from the added hardware in any workflow.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
I did see that thread, but it seemed to me more of a debate between the cMBP and rMBP. What did you ultimately decide?

I am really not sure if I will see any observable difference between the two rMBP configurations that I've mentioned.

I haven't made a final decision yet but it will most likely be this.
2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

Just changed the ram to 16gb and left everything else the same. The setup you have in your op will be fine for almost anything. Just know what you need/use it for and look up its performance on youtube.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I personally think the 512GB SSD is more worth the 16GB RAM, but I dont need 16GB RAM and I got it, now I wish I could have spent it on the 512GB SSD instead.

My logic at the time was, I was going to use and need 16GB RAM and I could always upgrade the SSD and NOT the RAM.

While the upgrade piece is still true and valid, I just dont need or use 16GB RAM.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I think people are worried about paying a lot of money for something now, if there are going to be major changes coming in 2-3 years that would make you regret the purchase.

Glad we could provide some comic relief though.

theres no such thing as "future proofing" a laptop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.