8 or 16 GB Macbook Pro 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snakes-, Oct 28, 2016.

1. snakes- macrumors regular

I dont know if i buy tomorrow the 8GB Macbook pro with 256ssd

or wait and configure a better wit 16 GB ram and maybe 512 ssd?

cant decide me.

I use one external full hd display and stream from time to time to a third display over apple tv/airplay at the same time.

Full HD Movies and short 4k with Final Cut and surfing are my activities.

i like silence machines, i think the lower cpu is more silence than the i7 ?

i need advice.....

2. vlinkz macrumors regular

Do you plan to use this laptop for more than a year?

If so get the 16GB.

3. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

More RAM is always better. Storage is dependant on your needs.

4. snakes- thread starter macrumors regular

yea more than a year, with my air i use some external hard drive...

5. vlinkz macrumors regular

I've been using 8GB for about 4 years now. I wouldn't buy anything lower than 16GB for a brand new laptop.

6. snakes- thread starter macrumors regular

ok, but dont know is it worth the new Macbook pro and how much it will be faster than my air ^^
    but my mac are 10 hours a day on, so i think more speed would be good :) ?

7. vlinkz macrumors regular

It's very expensive, if that's what you're asking. Totally up to you if you think the enormous cost is worth it.

8. snakes- thread starter macrumors regular

The 13 inch non touchbar model would be ok from price, but with 16gb and 512 gb ssd its a hard price.....

9. Nate., Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

Nate. macrumors regular

Nate.

Sheesh.. alright I wouldn't go by this advice at all..

If you're doing extensive editing, gaming (for whatever reason), plan on having massive amounts of demanding programs open (ex: Final Cut, Chrome, Lightroom, Music/Video Streaming) at the same time - get 16gb.

Anything less, 8 is fine, you probably won't even use half of that.

I edit/design in Photoshop while having several tabs open in a browser and streaming music/video and I rarely use 4gb. I just ordered the 13 RMBP w TouchBar as well and kept my RAM at 8 for this reason.

The whole 16gb futureproofing thing isn't valid unless you need 16gb of RAM or see yourself needing it in the future. If you really want to see your Mac last longer, upgrade the SSD/HDD or the processor. When it comes to upgrading RAM, get what you need. 4 years down the road you'll realize that's what actually mattered, this coming from someone who's owned too many MacBooks over the years.

10. vlinkz macrumors regular

That's exactly why I would get 16GB. It wouldn't matter if the RAM weren't impossible to upgrade but that's not the direction Apple has taken.

11. Nate. macrumors regular

Nate.

I could agree on that depending. At the end of the day it's just about predicting your own use, no different from storage sizes. I've been using 8gb of RAM for quite some time now and I can't see that holding me back for.. quite some time. Obviously everyone is different, but I wouldn't say he should get 16gb just if he wants to use it more than a year, that's more or less irrelevant to what he thinks he'll be using the machine for in a year.

12. vlinkz macrumors regular

I understand what you're saying, of course. That's why I went into more detail later on that I personally would not get one without 16GB or more. I'm not planning to sell it or throw it away a year or two after I've purchased it. I'm typing on a mid-2012 15" cMBP right now....but I can replace the RAM, SSD/optical bay in this one.

If the OP thinks he will need it in the future, he should definitely get it.

13. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I had placed my original order with 8gb, but after thinking about it I've cancelled and gone with 16gb instead. I used my last MBP for 6 years. In that time, I was forced to upgrade from 4-8gb of RAM. I intend for this MacBook to last me a similar amount of time, but won't be able to upgrade it in the future.

I'd say there's 2 reasons to get 16gb of RAM: if you use close to or more than 8 already, or if you plan on using this MacBook as a daily driver beyond the next 2-3 years.

14. Nate. macrumors regular

Nate.

Agreed. It's all about looking ahead and thinking hey, in a few years will I need that extra power or not.

Either way though he's in for a new machine which is exciting. Can't wait to get mine in :)

15. snakes- thread starter macrumors regular

one last thing i am little bit confused/angry about the question will the Intel Iris 540 be good enough for video rendering? my air is extreme slow with this.

16. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The 540 is a massive boost from the previous air GPU.

17. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Others beat me to it. If you're planning to upgrade in the next year? Save your money. If you'll own this machine for more than 18 months? Get 16GB.

However, you mentioned video rendering? If you plan to do any 4k work; just get 16GB now.

18. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

I would get the 16gb. The reviews from the non-touch bar mac show that the storage is potentially upgradeable so when faster PCIe SSDs come out with lower prices, you MIGHT be able to upgrade the storage unless Apple decides to ship a different version for the touch bar macs. Personally I went for the i7 and 16gb with the 256 SSD, so am putting my money where my mouth is.

19. Dead0k macrumors regular

20. snakes- thread starter macrumors regular

Ich ordered i5/16/512

but must wait until November 8.

dont know Pick up one in the store tomorrow with 8/256 or wait