Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anna Maria

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Bergen, Norway
Hello,
I am not sure..please enlighten me if possible, a bit?
I have average 20 tabs open, Photoshop (light work), XD, Illustrator, Indesign,..
Graphic/ui designer. Could it be enough with 8 GB?
Thank you

Reactions: ascender

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
as a former advocate of just using 8GB for most everyday task (low intensity), I recommend 16GB wholeheartedly.

Reactions: Anna Maria

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Hello,
I am not sure..please enlighten me if possible, a bit?
I have average 20 tabs open, Photoshop (light work), XD, Illustrator, Indesign,..
Graphic/ui designer. Could it be enough with 8 GB?
Thank you
I feel 16GB would be better with that type of workload.

Reflej0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2020
Hello, I always say that normally 16GBs are not used but with some frequency the 8GBs are usually exceeded, that is to say, use 9, 10GB and it is at this moment that the 8GBs fall short.
I am generalizing, what I consider to be happening today, that is, some will never exceed 8GBs and in certain cases up to 16GBs fall short in some exceptions.
My 16GB recommendation if possible.

Useless Touchbar

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2020
16GB 100%. Performance, future proof, better resale value. Do not buy a Macbook, or any laptop or computer for that matter, with only 8GB of RAM in 2020

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
You can do a lot with just 8GB. Lots of people who have 16GB would be perfectly fine with just 8GB, but since you're using Adobe Create Suite applications, going with 8GB wouldn't be a good idea. The 20+ tabs surfing would be fine on 8GB, but once you start mentioning those Adobe programs, you shouldn't be looking at 8GB.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I have a MB Air that only has 4GB and while it runs well enough and in 2012 it probably seemed like 8 was overkill. I would go for as much as you can afford to give yourself some future proofing.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
BTW, here's some actual data on the 8GB vs 16GB question.

Laptop Magazine ran a bunch of common use scenarios and came up with a chart showing that 8GB served fine for all common tasks.

I really appreciate this chart. But I also see how most people work. Most people don't do 'photo processing heavy' by itself: they have their mail and browsers open. The OP mentioned xd, illustrator and indesign. If you have any one of these open together with Photoshop+mail+browser, you're approaching the limits of what you can do with 8gb fast. So thanks for the interesting chart, but I'd still advise any graphical artist to go for 16gb.

Anna Maria

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Bergen, Norway
Definitely going for 16gb, indeed the table doesnt count everything and I am a very untidy user. Thanks again for your input. Would it be smart to wait until 2020 model release so the older one become cheaper?

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
So thanks for the interesting chart, but I'd still advise any graphical artist to go for 16gb.

I completely agree. I actually advised the same one message earlier.

I was just adding some context for late comers or for people who showed up because they were needing insight on whether they needed 8 or 16GB.

I think anyone who's using Adobe's Create Suite professionally needs to just go straight to 16GB as a starting point, but 8GB is more than good enough for people with average computing needs.

I normally go straight to 16GB regardless, but I had to struggle with this 8 or 16GB dilemma recently because I had to get my wife a new laptop and I stumbled into an eye popping deal on a pristine MBA on eBay. The only downside was that it was an 8GB machine so I had to do a little reading first to decide if it was really a problem or if it was just my RAM anxiety talking.

I concluded that 8GB should serve her needs just fine and it was a good call. Everything runs just fine and she's doing everything she wants with no restrictions and hasn't sniffed a hint of a performance issue.

Last edited:

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Hey, I'm still using an 8gb mbp 13 I got in 2014, so nothing wrong with that. I also built a Windows desktop in 2002 with 16gb. That machine is now really starting to get better than my mbp, despite the lower spec overall. It's the 8gb that I'm starting to bump up against. For my office users, I get 8gb. For anybody else (that usually involves the Adobe suite), it's 16gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.