8+ or 7+ From A 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AW84, Sep 13, 2017.

1. AW84 macrumors newbie

I know, there are a million of these questions right now all over the internet....but, I need some advice before laying out a big chunk of money.

Coming from a 5S and need to upgrade. Want the dual cameras, so the Plus models are my choices. On the surface, the changes from the 7 to the 8 aren't that big of a deal to me, however, because I keep my phones for ~4 years, I wonder if the jump from the A10 to the A11 might buy me more longevity in the phone? While that makes sense, my only conundrum is that $950 for the 8+ 256GB is ridiculous, and I could save almost $200 by buying the 7+. Sure, the 7+ is more than powerful enough for my needs today, but three years down the road, that may not be the case. Thoughts? Comments?

2. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

If you're a person that keeps your phone for that long, I'd say definitely go for the 8+ if your budget allows. I wouldn't get a phone that's been out a year already if it's something you want maximum longevity out of. But that's just me. By the way, the camera is pretty great on my 7+ plus phone. I am pretty impressed and I'm sure you'll be more than happy whichever route you choose.

3. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat, I'm leaning toward the 7 for a few reasons:
    1.) Cheaper
    2.) I can buy a 7 today.
    3.) I don't really need the features of the 8
    4.) If my 5s is any indication, the battery is going to go before the processor becomes obsolete.

The reasons I am still considering the 8 are the way the storage options come out, the 128GB 7 is almost as much as the 64GB 8. I don't want to get 32GB, I have 16GB now and that's a major reason I'm done with my 5s. Also Bluetooth 5.0 seems interesting even if not totally necessary.

4. AW84 thread starter macrumors newbie

The storage option (and the price they decided that warranted) is what's making it a tough choice. I don't need 256, so a 128 priced at $869 like the 7+ was would have been fine for me.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you intend on keeping your next phone as long as you did your 5s then the 8+ no doubt. Improved camera and inductive charging are worth the upcharge and (I despise the term) a tich of "future proofing." 7+ is no slouch though if neither of those features appeals to you and you want to save a few bucks.

6. AW84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wireless charging, no. Improved camera is always nice. Future proofing, from a processor standpoint, likewise, is always nice.

7. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

1. Are there features or benefits you really want.
    2. What can you afford and what is your local cost?

=answer.

8. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

I will stand by my statement that battery degradation is a larger issue on a phone's lifespan than processor obsolescence. Apple is also setting themselves up for a lot of 6s and SEs to be in service for the near future, so I think you need to balance that when trying to decide when a 7 will become obsolete.

I also think I talked myself into a 7+ because my 5s is being extra janky on the fingerprint scanner today and I'm not sure I want to wait another month for a new phone.

9. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I don't think you would notice much difference between a 7 Plus and an 8 Plus four years from now. I would save the $200 and buy a new 7 Plus. I agree with Jimong5 about the battery.