iPhone X 8+ or X or wait

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjbryce, May 31, 2018.

1. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

I have a 7+ and like the size, my phone is also perfectly serviceable and the only real reasons for upgrading are a) wireless charging and b) a new phone might be nice rather than necessary:)

Should I upgrade now or wait until September based on the following criteria:-

I don't watch movies very often
    My eyes aren't what they used to be - the bigger 7+/8+ screen suits me
    TouchID suits me - I can unlock the phone if it's in reach
    I'm unsure about FaceID from a convenience pov
    New gestures and the notch may take a little getting used to
    Animojis don't interest me
    Wireless charging (esp. in-car) really appeals
    Camera performance is relatively important​

Is there even the remotest realistic chance that in he next release Apple will magically put TouchID under the screen as an option to FaceID, or is TouchID gone forever?

What does the panel think?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am afraid touch ID is dead and FaceID is Apple's way forward, even for the iPads.

I, at this point would wait, wireless charging is nice on my X but not good enough reason to change phones this close to fall.

In the end the choice is yours to make, not strangers on a forum.

3. cjbryce thread starter macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Very true:) but it's always useful to hear others' views.

4. dagored macrumors 65816

I had the same circumstances. 7+ and purchased a Red 8+. I am not thrilled about face ID.

I figure I now have 2 years before upgrading again. Yes, wireless charging is very convenient. Your decision.

5. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I got a mophie battery case for my iPhone 7+ and it adds wireless charging to your phone. So that’s one of your main reasons gone.... plus, battery lasts forever now.

After playing with the new phones in stores and considering my iPhone 7+ and mophie combo being awesome I’m thinking of sitting out this year too.

6. forestinjersey macrumors member

forestinjersey

I just pulled the trigger on a X this lunchtime. If you need it now then why wait.

7. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Since you have a 7+ I think I would wait til September. The new phones might have gen 2 Face ID.

8. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Since you say that the upgrade is a nice to have, I'd wait if I were you.

At the very least, the 8+ would still be available when the new iPhones are released, so you'd save $100 (or more). And if they do release a "9+" with TouchID, then get that.

I know that if it were me, I'd be pissed if I bought an 8+ and the 9+ gets released 4 months later.

9. Sean006 macrumors 6502

i just bought my X 3 weeks ago but i have a paid for 8plus also...

paid for by tmobile...service sucked so went back to Verizon after 2 months.

i personally got very tired of carrying the plus around when i dont watch show or movies.
    X screen is just as big...yeah argue the point but plus is wider and X is taller and im not carrying useless bezels

want it now get it now..you can always trade in later on

10. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

If you didn’t get any discount on that then I’d say that’s not a very wise decision, not that it matters what I feel.

11. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, and also have reservations about FaceID.

I skipped buying the X, but have kind of accepted that if I want to stay with iPhones, then I'm going to have to just accept FaceID.

I'm currently just (impatiently) waiting for September to roll around to see what advances/improvements they've made with FaceID in a year, and then I'll most likely pull the trigger.

12. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

If you're fine with an 8 but like the styling of the X then wait and get the new model that's in between the X and the X Plus. It will use a cheaper LCD display, but if you're fine with that on an 8 today, then you could just get that. It would provide a bigger screen than the X, but still be edge-to-edge using that newer LCD tech which enables it (can't remember what it's called) and it should be cheaper than either of the other models to boot with an A12. What remains to be seen is whether it will have dual cameras, so IDK if that's a deal breaker for you. It's going to be the "cheaper model" so I figure some cutbacks will happen. However, if they move to three cameras on the top two models—as is rumored—then two cameras on the base model would be acceptable.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is a great point, I think it will be interesting not just to see the new iPhones in the fall, but what changes did Apple make to Face ID. And I think some of the changes they may not talk about, but likely what the user will experience with Face ID once they have a chance to experience it themself with the new hardware on the 2018 iPhone X models. Apple is notorious for not always talking about every little update they make to their iPhones, it’s always interesting to hear user feedback once they have a chance to experience it themselves what was improved.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Since you have a 7+ in working order I'd most certainly wait since we are close to a refresh

Most of the issues/important features you mentioned in our post will likely be upgraded on the new models coming up in September.

15. Txguy82 macrumors regular

Txguy82

Wireless charging is pointless right now. It takes over 2 hours to fully charge. Same Bs on the fast charge with Android.

No point in switching to basically the same design iPhone for that feature. I can tell you it’s not worth it at this time. Stay put!!!

I’m waiting till next Monday to get an idea of what ios12 will look like. If same boring design I’m selling my X. I prefer the iPhone over Android but I have a S9+ waiting for me if I decide to sell it. Samsung phones make the iPhone feel outdated IMO. Camera is awesome on it as well.

16. PhoneMe1 Suspended

PhoneMe1

You heard of overnight charging.

17. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Wait.

If you had an older phone (6 or older) I’d say just do it, but you have a great phone now. It’s tough to resist that itch but you’ll regret it the day they announce the new phones in September. Ask me how I know ;)

18. bluespark macrumors 68000

I'm in the same boat but have decided to wait. September isn't that far away, and you never know when Apple will release something really compelling or that solves a current problem. I doubt TouchID will stick around (but, like you, I prefer it to Face ID), but Face ID probably will improve.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Thats definitely an opinion. You’re paying for a convenience factor, that’s it. That’s what wireless charger serves and in a sense of eliminating the wire from the phone. For some, wireless charging is worth the price.

20. forestinjersey macrumors member

forestinjersey

Ah well where I live I would be lucky to get the next version before January 2019.

21. g77777box092923 Suspended

I'd stay with the 7 Plus. Unless there is permanent damage or a boot loop or something I would stay with the iPhone 7 Plus. I hope to get the standard iPhone 7 when I upgrade.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2018 ---
    Everythingapplepro claimed that Apple got patents for an ultrasonic fingerprint reader on the back/front. TBH if Apple kills something off like the headphone jack, it's NOT COMING BACK