iPhone X 8 Plus Owners: Have/Are You Moving to the Max?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ARizz44, Sep 28, 2018.

1. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

I’ve been looking forward all year to the large screen Max. As a happy 8 Plus owner I never once felt compelled to last year to keep the X (returned it on day 13). I got the Max on launch and honestly I love pretty much everything about it. Maybe it’s my resistance to change, but I look over at my 8 Plus that’s listed for sale and I’m compelled to go use it it.

Maybe it’s the Touch ID. Maybe it’s having all optimized apps. Maybe it’s the fact that it’s paid for. I’ve always upgraded every year. And I love having a new phone. But that $1,550 (512gb and tax) is weighing on me a bit I think. I’m trying to justify that this phone is worth that much more than my 8 Plus. Just curious what other current/former 8 Plus users are thinking. I’m more curious about people who upgrade regularly (as opposed to those who keep their phones as long as possible).

And to the ‘search first’ ‘new thread’ police....I did. I didn’t find anything specific or closely related to the specifics of my thread. If you find any, feel free to link. Thanks.

2. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

I sold my 8+ to a friend and got a max at launch. Loved it, but the pwm gave me horrible headaches so I had to return it. I ended up with another 8+ for me, and a free one for my kid. I would have been more bummed, but I got the product red so that made me happier.

3. Volusia macrumors 6502

Volusia

Buyer's remorse? Went to the local Best Buy and looked at the new iPhones. Still very satisfied with my 8+ and will probably stick with it for at least one more model, maybe two.
    Also checked out the Watch Series 4, may bite on that...

4. ARizz44 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

I think I may have a bit of that. For some reason in the past, I’d gladly shell out whatever the cost to get the Newest iPhone. You could say it’s my one main vice. But that was in the $1,059 after tax days. I’m in the rare camp that can utilize 512gb. Although I could dump some stuff and make the 256gb work on the Plus. I don’t know. It’s weird. I’m not sure what will bother me more. Not having the latest/greatest phone or knowing I’m paying $60/month (would be first time on a payment plan) for my device.

5. fastbagger macrumors regular

fastbagger

Same here have X Max and 8 plus. Hard decision but I think the 8 plus screen is actually larger. The X Max screen seems narrower to me and the 8 Plus was a perfect dimension. Don't know if keeping the X Max. Do admit the face ID works great and is butter smooth.

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

If not for having similar migraine related issues with pwm as @tonybarnaby and having some (still unresolved) concerns and issues with connectivity to LTE, I would definitely say this is a worthwhile upgrade for the beautiful display and superior camera (with stereo audio recording capability, at last!).

I do still have my Product Red 8 Plus, but did trade in an 8 Plus that I absolutely loved in order to get a respectable discount on my Max.

Mine is 256 GB but I think it’s cool to have the 512 for people who intend to take a lot of video or don’t want to rely on pulling everything down from the cloud. Living semi-rural as I do and traveling through a lot of signal poor areas, I think if I had it to do all over again, I would have gone max on the Max.

The issues that MAY make me return the Max are really peculiar ones that aren’t observed by everyone, so I wouldn’t use these issues to scare anyone away from enjoying what could be the perfect phone for them.

As for justifying the cost, well last year I could not bring myself to do so for the X. But for the Max, hell yeah. It’s been refined just enough to impress me now. Just keep it two years to really get your money’s worth if it bothers you.

There is the problem that yes, cheaper Androids can get the job done even better than an iPhone can and for a lot lower price point. My husband has a P20 Pro and the camera on that thing is a beast and it cost almost half of what a 512 GB iPhone XS Max costs. So on that basis of comparing the quality of phone you can now get for the money from the competition, it can be hard to justify the cost of the more premium iPhones.

Then people have to ask themselves the question of are they willing to let Google own their data. Because Android phones basically are marketing data extraction tools. You can lock down a lot of your info but recent revelations show us even on iOS that app developers are working hard to siphon off our info as much as possible. On the Android platform it’s practically expected this will happen.

The other issue to consider is after sales service and support. We do hear some horror stories but for the most part, and I say this as an Android owner, Apple is still very good to its iPhone customers compared to what an Android customer can expect, at least in the US. I can’t speak for what it’s like in other countries. I’m still willing to pay the Apple tax for that extra bit of support.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2018 ---
    When I compare the two phones while watching YouTube videos and my Max gets black bars placed top and bottom, the viewing area appears exactly the same.

7. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

8 Plus owner. Plus owner since there was a a Plus. Passed on X as I wanted the X Plus and X wasn’t quite wide enough. A year later I’m kind of over the huge phone. I use text at a very small setting so only advantage Plus really provides is video. Leaning towards XS but in no hurry with stories of RF issues.