8 plus vs 7 plus camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Sep 30, 2017.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

supersaf has done his analysis. Very interesting. 8 plus is definitely better but it also definitely does not seem like a worthwhile upgrade for the camera alone if you have a 7 plus.

Look at it 2 ways kudos to apple for making a solid 7 plus and making users of that happy or hate on the minor improvement year over year.

2. TL24, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

I can tell you right now that the 8/8+ camera is a huge upgrade over the 7/7+. I went from the 7+ to the 8+ and it’s been a huge upgrade. I take a lot of photos and videos from my iPhone so I know how to use it to the best of its abilities. I honestly don’t think SuperSaf is that great at photos/videos so to each his own.

3. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree he is a sample size of 1 but he does try and keep it somewhat unbiased but its hard to be 100% impartial. Obviously anyone who upgraded is also going to subconsciously think they made the right decision.

4. x34 macrumors 6502a

LOL

pretty evident that it is not a huge upgrade from the 7 plus but an incremental one - and of course - a welcomed one.

5. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

Well he upgraded so he is probably trying to justify his purchase. I would probably do the same subconsciously. The are definitely other reasons to upgrade besides camera

6. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

I think I know a thing or two about my purchase. I still have my 7 Plus and the 8 Plus it’s night and day when it comes to picture quality.

To me that’s a huge upgrade.

7. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

What super saff guy didn't do was testing night time video recording. I wanted to see how how much iso ip8 has. I knows s8 plus has better iso...not dramatically improve...just improved.

8. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

What Supersaf showed in his comparison is pretty accurate, but doesn't tell the whole story about how great the camera is. I came from an iPhone 7 and went to the iPhone 8 Plus, and the difference is quite something. Not just because I get optical zoom and portrait mode now, but even just the wide-angle lens is definitely notably improved over the iPhone 7. There's more detail and less noise when taking photos in low-light situations, in day-light everything seems sharpers and more colorful too. Supersaf claims the colors tend to go more into Samsung's 'way' by being oversaturated and all. I disagree with that. I think the colors are simply more accurate than they used to be. But they're not oversaturated at all.

At least not from my perspective. I may not be a professional photographer of any sort, but neither am I trying to justify the 'small' upgrade over the iPhone 7. The iPhone 8 Plus has a great camera, period. No matter if you come from an iPhone 7 (Plus) or any older device. It's getting closer to DSLR photography. Obviously it's never gonna get that far, but things like Portrat mode and optical zoom really do help with getting much greater photos without being an actual photographer. That's what I like so much about the iPhone. :p

9. ccglows macrumors member

Could you show a comparison between the two? I'd be more interested in the RAW shots (edited) of each because the default camera app's image processing looks quite bad.

YouTubers always show the default image/video straight from the app but that's always meh in comparison to its true quality when edited.

I've looked at numerous videos and it's usually hit/miss. Sometimes it looks amazing, and othertimes meh, and I think that's entirely because of the person behind it. Basically, I'm more interested in its max capability than its default capability.

Example:

[​IMG]

Top is straight from a (compressed 1080p) YouTube video of iPhone 8 footage and bottom was edited to boost the dynamic range and improve color. The max capability looks significantly better as you can see.

10. Chloros macrumors regular

Chloros

lol.....really?

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

12. Technarchy, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Some quick shots taken with iPhone 8+ and 7+. I also took my Samsung Galaxy S8+ and posted those results in the alternative section.

Consistently the iPhone 8+ captured photos with more detail, clarity, depth and color than the iPhone 7+. It's just an all around a better camera. The 7+ produces flat images with an odd muddiness in anything less than near perfect light.

iPhone 8+ photos are top versions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2017 ---
    680BDE73-D9ED-4D7C-B1D5-14990D053A47.jpeg CCD04ECC-9959-4F93-8AF3-76FFCA81C590.jpeg

iPhone 8+ top
    iPhone 7+ bottom A06463FB-E207-405D-A7D0-8509589380A8.jpeg

13. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Here a few that I took on my 8+ today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

Size/weight wise are you happy/comfortable with the heavier iPhone 8 plus ?

15. Billburns macrumors 6502

Billburns

Looks like I’m gonna have to buy my gf an 8+!! She is legit obsessed with taking pictures 24/7

16. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Ur going to get an upgrade from the 7 to the 7+. So from 7 to 8+ is a huge upgrade. Hard to compare the 2...

17. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Regarding the last two photos. Is the lense a different size between the 7 and 8? One photo is zoomed compared to the other. That alone would change the look of a photo. To me the eight has more contrast, but I am not seeing night and day. To be honest I think my 7 plus takes better photos than what I am seeing here.

18. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Larger pool of contenders. Even the iPad Mini 4 produces a better pic in my opinion. Mind you, many people have expressed disappointment with the 7+ camera. It’s just okay, but I actually preferred pics taken with my iPhone 6S when looking back through my gallery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Thanks for sharing. For me the S8+ actually looks the best...

20. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The S8+ has an awesome camera.

I go back and forth in which I prefer more.

21. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

As the matter of fact, I am. But that might have to do with the fact that previously I've had an iPhone 7 with Smart Battery Case. And if I'm to believe the numbers, the total weight of the two is supposed to be almost 240 grams. Now, compare that to the iPhone 8 Plus, that is 202 grams. Quite the difference there.

I've become so used to the weight, that it doesn't really bother me anymore. Heck, if anything it is more like a downgrade. Not in bad way tho. It feels good in the hand, and in my opinion not too heavy at all.