8 quick questions, can anyone help please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevearm, Sep 21, 2009.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I'm getting my very first mac tomorrow. 13" MacBook Pro. Very excited, but before I got it I just had a few questions I was curious about. Can anyone help please?

1. I've heard that installing applications is as simple as dragging and dropping the file into the Apps folder. Is this true? What about the more complex programs like Photoshop etc?

2. In iPhoto 09, I know about Events and how they group photos together by date etc. but I'd like to have more general events like "My Nephew" "Nights out" "Sports Photos" that could span years. Is this do-able?

3. Is it possible to hide an entire event in iPhoto?

4. Does iPhoto use destructive image-editing techniques? Or is it non-destructive, keeping the original safe and un-edited?

5. I already sync my iPhone to my PC, but I think I'd quite like to sync it from my new laptop as well. Is this possible? ie. have it sync from both my PC AND my mac at the same time? Or does it have to be one or the other. If I download an app for my iphone on my PC, will it show up on my mac iTunes library?

6. Can I rename home folders?

7. Obviously there's the whole marketing thing of no virus' for OS X, but regardless, would anyone suggest that I definitely invest in some firewall or anti-virus type protection anyway? Or is it really not necessary?

8. Finally, any tips for a first time user? Maybe some useful apps to download, shortcuts that make using OS X easier, or features in the OS to customise it for the better etc?

Thanks very much, I'd really appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Many smaller apps can be installed with a simple 'drag and drop', but some of the larger ones – such as Photoshop and the other Creative Suite apps – have Installers.

I really wouldn't do that if I were you. It might spoil your day a bit. ;)

Different people have different opinions – personally, while I'm confident about viruses and stuff I don't think there's any harm in taking a few simple precautions. OS X has a built in Firewall you can switch on (it's in System Preferences/Security) and you could maybe look at a free antivirus app like iAntivirus or ClamXav. At the end of the day though, the best protection against trojans and such like is to be sensible and avoid downloading dodgy looking stuff from dodgy looking websites. ;)

3. sugar2sweet macrumors newbie

Yes. Installing applications are very, very simple. Some applications have installers that set everything up for you, though.

4. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

As JC states, there are some apps that need installers... mainly ones that want to add files to system directories or install themselves with privileges. If a program has an installer and asks for your password you should be confident that the source of that app isn't a malware distributor.

I have events that span years. When you hover over the event you see the date range below the event name. I don't know how to hide events, though.

It keeps the original as well as edited version of each photo. If the photo has been edited you can right-click to view the original.

Each iPod (definitely including the touch and probably including the iPhone) can only sync to one computer at a time. The app won't automatically be in your new Mac's iTunes library, but you will be able to download it for free as long as you log into the same iTunes account. It may even upload the app from your phone so you won't have to get it again.

If you mean /Users/{account you log in as}, I'd be careful. Account information is kept in OpenDirectory, so you would have to make sure it knows about the changes as well. It might be safer to use a Unix hard or soft link to a second name, or just make sure it gets created the way you want in the first place. When you create an account you give a long and short name. The short name is what is used to create your home directory.

Antivirus is really not necessary at this time. For the firewall, OS X has a built in application firewall as well as Unix ipfw. You can use something like WaterRoof as a GUI front-end for ipfw.

There are several threads with useful apps, tricks & tips, etc. This site is a good place to come to when starting with your first Mac. BTW, how are you a 6502a and a member since 2007 if you don't have a Mac yet? Made 6502a just on iPhone posts? :D

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Hi all,

I'm getting my very first mac tomorrow. 13" MacBook Pro. Very excited, but before I got it I just had a few questions I was curious about. Can anyone help please?

1. I've heard that installing applications is as simple as dragging and dropping the file into the Apps folder. Is this true? What about the more complex programs like Photoshop etc?

Downloads load as DMG files. You then drag the application to your Applications Folder. Instances of Microsoft or Adobe have their own installer.

2. In iPhoto 09, I know about Events and how they group photos together by date etc. but I'd like to have more general events like "My Nephew" "Nights out" "Sports Photos" that could span years. Is this do-able?

Your choice. I would use keywords and a Smart Folder to encompass 'Nights Out.'

3. Is it possible to hide an entire event in iPhoto?

Absolutely, in Events, select all and from the menu hide photos.

4. Does iPhoto use destructive image-editing techniques? Or is it non-destructive, keeping the original safe and un-edited?

The default behavior is to maintain the original file. Creating subsequent files for each modification. Entering the file structure outside of iPhoto is not recommended.

5. I already sync my iPhone to my PC, but I think I'd quite like to sync it from my new laptop as well. Is this possible? ie. have it sync from both my PC AND my mac at the same time? Or does it have to be one or the other. If I download an app for my iphone on my PC, will it show up on my mac iTunes library?

You must commit content to one computer or the other. Utilizing MobileMe or free alternative Google Sync you can keep Contacts, Mail, Calendar between multiple computers and iPhone.

6. Can I rename home folders?

This can cause a tremendous amount of problems.

7. Obviously there's the whole marketing thing of no virus' for OS X, but regardless, would anyone suggest that I definitely invest in some firewall or anti-virus type protection anyway? Or is it really not necessary?

You're entangled in marketing. Both Apple and McAfee want you to believe (not) in viruses. No technical viruses exist. As a Mac OS user you just don't concern youself with potential infections. Referring to the DMG behavior above you'd have to jump through several hoops and enter your Admin password to even harm your files.

8. Finally, any tips for a first time user? Maybe some useful apps to download, shortcuts that make using OS X easier, or features in the OS to customise it for the better etc?

Please search. There are countless threads explicitly on Snow Leopard and hundreds more on OS X
    Thanks very much, I'd really appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

6. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all, appreciate it.

jzuena, what exactly is the significance of 6502a? I know it's a rank but what do the numbers actually mean? I've been an apple fan for a few years now, iPods, iPhones, always found their philosophy interesting, and their design, UI's and marketing quite fantastic really. Been scared of using OS X (no 'full screen a window' button!?!? and not AT ALL convinced window management is more efficient than on a PC) but thought I'd take the plunge with a MacBook and see how i get on :)

Glad to hear I can have events that are more generic than others.

I'll probably just save myself the hassle and continue to sync my iPhone to my PC, which will remain my main machine.

Actually I meant the folders inside the Home folder. "Pictures, Music" etc. It's not a big deal though. I was just told that I should stick to using the default ones to put all my files in. And coming from windows and someone who hates the "My Pictures" "My Videos" folders on XP, I'll have to adapt I suppose.

Thanks I'll have a look at other topics for software suggestions and tips. I'm already liking the look of 'Main Menu' and 'Quicksilver' :)

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I never even noticed the hide photos menu item! Even after 3.5 years there are always new tips to pick up. :D

edit: It looks like you can hide all of the pictures in an event, but I can't find a way to hide the event itself. Is that possible?

8. rowsdower macrumors 6502

As others mentioned, large programs often have installers. However, once installed many can be moved to a different place on the drive (or maybe even a different drive) with drag-and-drop.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

You have to first double-click on the .dmg file, then finder opens another window with the application showing then you drag that to the applications folder.

10. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Easy. Guides.
    2. You can merge events, or catalog the photos properly.
    3, 4, read iphoto guides on line
    5. Sync only one computer
    6. Don't do it.
    7. It's the truth. No virus
    8. Read the guides.

VIRUS
    Giz Explains: Why OS X Shrugs Off Viruses Better Than Windows
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5101337/giz-explains-why-os-x-shrugs-off-viruses-better-than-windows

The Mac Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/01/29/the-mac-malware-myth/

The Unavoidable Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...-apple-wont-inherit-microsofts-malware-crown/

Market Share Myth
    http://blogs.bellinghamherald.com/i...uter_virus_record_straig&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

How to check for Trojans
    http://www.macworld.com/article/60823/2007/10/trojanhorse.html

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Here you go – part of the FAQs, where much useful information is stored.