8 Shots of Tequila Save a 13 Year-Old

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by thegoldenmackid, Dec 22, 2009.

1. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Link
    Sorry mscriv, I beat you to it...

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Receiving more than one Darwin Award per lifetime is an extremely rare occurrence... Or so I've heard. ;)

5. ldkaplan macrumors regular

ldkaplan

That's a great story.

I grew up farely close to Galt. I grew up in Atwater, south of Galt. If you ever went up that way and did not get stuck in Lodi again (stop to sing CCR song), you'd be in Galt in about an hour and half. We had an Uncle that had orchards out there. They have one of the largest flea markets in the country...one of "those" kinds of small town.

Small towns, there's not much to do except on occasion do crazy stuff like that. We used to steal liquor from the parens cabinets and top if off with water. Typically this was followed by wate skiing in the canal being pulled behind a truck. I think we even drank Robitussin. But we never did hard drugs...this was in the mid 80s so previous to easy Meth.

I think it's great they found this tumor and were likely able to treat it. Hopefully the boy will see this as a comic sign and try to make it out of Galt...which is slightly more difficult to get out of then Loodi (stop and sing CCR song)

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Why did they need to do a CT scan for alcohol poisoning :confused:

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The article says he passed out so they wanted to check for head injury.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'll drink to that.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's pretty routine to do it for that reason.

12. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

This is a great story, but the article title is really misleading. Of course the media wants to use attention grabbing gimmicks.

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

You don't win them for dying. You win by permanently removing your genes from the gene pool through an act of stupidity *.

So a self-created event that leaves you alive but infertile will get you a Darwin Award.

Theoretically, if an advance in medical technology was then made that gave your fertility back, but another stupid act by yourself removed it again, you could win a second Darwin Award.

*worded so as to exclude gay people who benefit the species in other ways, and people like explorers who occasionally die while in the process of significantly adding to the sum of human knowledge.

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

15. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I was expecting to read about methyl alcohol poisoning and this tequila saving his life.

But 8 shots at 13? Dang.

16. emt1 macrumors 65816

I'm an EMT and a few weeks ago we had a pt who drank approx 1L of vodka over the course of an hour or so... then wanted to commit suicide so had a few sips of windshield washer fluid. Talk about pre-medicating. Haha.... good stuff

17. carlgo macrumors 68000

A few years ago there was a similar story. A sideline photographer was run over by a football player going out of bounds and was knocked down hard on his head. They scanned him and found a tumor. It was removed and all is well, evidently. He had no symptoms, no idea, so it was good luck for him.

18. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Me too.

Someone's gonna be fun in college. :p

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Alcohol tolerance -- just the body's physical capacity to adapt -- amazes me. 8 shots of tequila would probably put me on the floor, let alone that any suicidal ideation I had been entertaining would have left the realm of my physical capability long before I downed a liter of vodka.

If I turned that into caffeine, for which I have a fair stomach and may have 3-4 servings in a day (and at one time, got as high as six, but that made me terribly jittery), the liter of vodka would still be like me drinking 25 or so caffeinated drinks in one day, which I could scarcely imagine.

20. nick9191 macrumors 68040

People need to realise their limits. I've only been smashed off my face twice in my life because I incorrectly anticipated my alcohol tolerance. I have no desire to be in that situation again and cannot understand the mentality of those that do. If you're on a night out, the three beers feeling is the best place to be. Better confidence, retention of dignity, and no hangover.

This kid got extremely lucky.

21. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Does becoming a priest count? :)

22. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

That's a good description of what sort of state I like to get myself in, trouble is I always just think "one more", before I know it I'm all over the place.