Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan214

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I currently have an 8+ and I'm on the AT&T every year upgrade program. I'm debating whether or not to keep my phone for another year even though I wouldn't be taking advantage of the upgrade program. Or if I do choose to get an XS or XS Max, I would most likely jump on the every 2 year upgrade plan to save a little money. Any thoughts? Either keep the 8+ another year or get a new phone to keep for 2 years.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I currently have an 8+ and I'm on the AT&T every year upgrade program. I'm debating whether or not to keep my phone for another year even though I wouldn't be taking advantage of the upgrade program. Or if I do choose to get an XS or XS Max, I would most likely jump on the every 2 year upgrade plan to save a little money. Any thoughts? Either keep the 8+ another year or get a new phone to keep for 2 years.
It depends. Does the XS/XS Max offer something that would be better or an improvement for your usage? You’d likely increase your monthly payment so would that be worth it to you?

The 8 Plus is still an excellent device.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
You'd be really foolish to trade in your 8+ (IMO a much better device than any of the "X" series). You do know that all of these new phones are plagued with signal issues due to Apple's ongoing feud with Qualcomm, right? The new phones will give you nothing over the 8+, except that new phone feeling, which dies off real quick.

Reactions: franzkfk

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
You'd be really foolish to trade in your 8+ (IMO a much better device than any of the "X" series). You do know that all of these new phones are plagued with signal issues due to Apple's ongoing feud with Qualcomm, right? The new phones will give you nothing over the 8+, except that new phone feeling, which dies off real quick.
While I agree with what you posted, if the OP has a 8+ with an Intel modem in it (which is likely due to being on AT&T) it’s more than likely going to be similar or improved signal.

Reactions: doboy

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Do you enjoy having a home button on your phone? If so, keep it. If not, upgrade. If your upgrade isn't completely free though, I wouldn't do it.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
While I agree with what you posted, if the OP has a 8+ with an Intel modem in it (which is likely due to being on AT&T) it’s more than likely going to be similar or improved signal.

I had read that the XS/Xr phones were worse in signal than Intel iPhone 7/8 models.

Reactions: Jovijoker

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I had read that the XS/Xr phones were worse in signal than Intel iPhone 7/8 models.
Interesting. That’s definitely not good news for these new devices then. Hopefully it’s just a software issue. I definitely prefer Qualcomm over intel for modems so I wish Apple would just work out their issues with Qualcomm so we could get better modems again.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Interesting. That’s definitely not good news for these new devices then. Hopefully it’s just a software issue. I definitely prefer Qualcomm over intel for modems so I wish Apple would just work out their issues with Qualcomm so we could get better modems again.

Nope. But I'm kind of hoping they fail TBH. I think eliminating the home button and adding a notch was a really foolish move. Almost as foolish as eliminating the headphone jack on the 7. But hey if the OP wants to waste his money on a new model that doesn't offer anything except a headache over his 8, than that's on him.

Reactions: timeconsumer

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I haven’t had any connectivity issues with my XR, and I live in a rural area with crappy service.

I wasn’t planning to upgrade from my 8+ after I had to return my Max because of the headaches, but the XR tempted me, and I’m really pleased with my switch. I hated to lose Touch ID, but I am loving Face ID, and the size difference is just enough to make me feel like I have something smaller, but without going too small.

I don’t think you could go wrong either way OP.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Many people think the 8+ is the best phone in the lineup. What may be intended as an upgrade (getting an XS/Max) may very well turn out to be a downgrade. Be careful. Plenty of people have returned back to the 8+.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Ok, good for her. Still doesn't make it a better choice over the 8 series.

The current 8+ on A&T has the previous generation Intel Modem chipset and there is no discernible difference in terms of connectivity/reception. In terms of which is a better phone it all boils down to preference and what you need or want in a phone, so for some YES the Xs/Xr maybe a better choice. I do have an 8+ for my work phone and it is a fantastic phone all around I have nothing negative to say about it. However, I personally use the Xr and I find the new gestures and and Face ID work much better for me overall. Again my preference having used both phones daily others may feel differently.

Upgrading isn't totally necessary in your case OP, but if you get an upgrade each year. Go check them out and make a decision for yourself. I don't think any of us can really tell you. :)
[doublepost=1541539881][/doublepost]
Next year. Wait for USB C and no notch.

I wouldn't bet on either one of those!

Last edited:
Reactions: Broadus

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Ok, good for her. Still doesn't make it a better choice over the 8 series.

It all depends on if it’s a better choice for that person. You can’t make that decision for them. Just like the 8/8+ is a bad device for me but the XS Max would be a better choice for me.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
It all depends on if it’s a better choice for that person. You can’t make that decision for them. Just like the 8/8+ is a bad device for me but the XS Max would be a better choice for me.

Enlighten me how a X series phone could be better than the 8? You loose the home button and get a notch? There is absolutely no noticeable difference in speed. Or is it just wanting the latest and greatest?

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Enlighten me how a X series phone could be better than the 8? You loose the home button and get a notch? There is absolutely no noticeable difference in speed. Or is it just wanting the latest and greatest?

If you don't know after all the threads that have gone down this road! The point has been made several times and for some the notch is not a big deal and personally I don't give two fresh s**ts about the home button... I prefer Face ID. So it all boils down to what one wants as to if they would see this a worthy upgrade or not. If I don't like it and deem it worthy then it's not! REALLY!

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

Like I said it all depends on what the consumer want and wether that device can deliver what they want. Me personally, I have the X and I absolutely love my phone and could never go back to Touch ID or a notch less device (anything pre X). It’s what I prefer and I’m not going to let anyone tell me their device is better than mine because mine deliver what I want in a device.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

This year's lineup offers significantly better camera performance. The Max offers a big increase in display area.

The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus have the smallest battery capacity out of all the 4.7" and 5.5" phones Apple has produced.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I never understood why the notch ‘needs’ to be brought up in every single topic, like everyone should agree that it’s a some ‘horrible thing’ that Apple implemented, when outside this website, I have never heard anyone comment on the notch, and I mean *never*. I would say Face ID is likely the most improved scenario over the iPhone 8, especially being that it’s unique with auto fill passwords, and even in situations like it will show you the content of the message once you unlock it with your face, kind of a nice feature to have so that way no one else can read your messages until you look at your phone and unlock it.

The iPhone 8 is a great device, the iPhone X/XS is a great device, all that matters is what the user finds most beneficial to them.

Last edited:

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Do you enjoy having a home button on your phone? If so, keep it. If not, upgrade. If your upgrade isn't completely free though, I wouldn't do it.

NONE of the Upgrade options are free. If you stay on the current plan, it will be paid off in a year (give or take). If you get the new phone, you now owe for 24/30 months. On a $1,000 phone, that means it will cost you $500 more than keeping your current phone.

Upgrades are NOT FREE.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
NONE of the Upgrade options are free. If you stay on the current plan, it will be paid off in a year (give or take). If you get the new phone, you now owe for 24/30 months. On a $1,000 phone, that means it will cost you $500 more than keeping your current phone.

Upgrades are NOT FREE.
I think he meant if it doesn’t cost you more per month.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
i have a iphone 8+ and i find it the best phone out right now am waiting tell next SEP too upgrade my phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.