8 weeks to recover data on 1TB acceptable?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacBoobsPro, Dec 7, 2007.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

2 days after Leopard one of my external 1TB drives failed (300GB used). I sent it in to a small company to recover the data before sending it back to Amazon to get a refund. 8 weeks later they still haven't recovered the data and keep giving me excuses about 'how big the drive is so it takes longer.'

I accept its a big disk and would take some time to recover but 8 weeks and still no definite time frame?

Any one with knowledge of data recovery want to shed some light on this for me?

Its 2 500GBs raided so they said something about 3 times the amount of work with disk images etc which I understand but 8 weeks?

2. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

So it was really two physical disks, not one 1TB. That may be a large wrinkle. You said it was a small company, do you think you are their only customer - or did you consider a small company might take longer for a complicated recovery?

If you are unsatisfied tell them to send the disk back, and either find someone else to do it or just accept you shoulda either used a redundant RAID scheme or backed up that data to another medium.

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

8 weeks? you are well outside of Amazon's policies anyway. You should be dealing with the MFG at this point.

4. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

I've had it take up to 5 weeks to recover a 120GB laptop drive one of my clients had. The guy told me it was like "taking apart an omelet", i can't imagine 2 500's raided

5. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

it is a lacie big disk which is in effect two 500gbs raided inside one case to create a 1tb drive. I am not their only customer and told them its not time critical stuff but still 8 weeks is a long time for anything really.

Lacie told me to speak to amazon about getting a refund. They told me when I get it back they will refund the drive.

Edit: forgot to mention the drive was only 3months old.