Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Late 08 15.4 inch 2.8 MBP.

Sitting in a cool, 20* C room with the AC blasting.

80*C with the fans spinning 3500 RPM for a few hours now. Reset SMC, tried a couple restarts, slept the computer for an hour or two til it cooled down and opened it back up and it's the same.

Activity monitor isn't showing much going on, but I'm at 50% CPU usage for some reason.

The only things I have going right now are:

1 safari browser for this forum
Bluetooth for my wireless keyboard
Driving a 24" LED ACD
Wireless for time capsule/internet

I realize these things contribute but I'm always around 45*C and 2000 RPMs with these things going.

This is ridiculous, I was having this same issue with my MBA today but that was at work where it was 28*C.

Ideas? SMC isn't fixing it, nor is a restart, and I'm not doing anything intensive.

EDIT: Got her, under all processes there was a print manager killing me, force quit and things are dropping already

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Could be an underlying process, have a deeper look around, I had installdb going crazy on mine for a good few hours, turns out it was related to disk utility, but I'd closed that hours before, have a hunt around, see what you find.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Late 08 15.4 inch 2.8 MBP.

Sitting in a cool, 20* C room with the AC blasting.

80*C with the fans spinning 3500 RPM for a few hours now. Reset SMC, tried a couple restarts, slept the computer for an hour or two til it cooled down and opened it back up and it's the same.

Activity monitor isn't showing much going on, but I'm at 50% CPU usage for some reason.

The only things I have going right now are:

1 safari browser for this forum
Bluetooth for my wireless keyboard
Driving a 24" LED ACD
Wireless for time capsule/internet

I realize these things contribute but I'm always around 45*C and 2000 RPMs with these things going.

This is ridiculous, I was having this same issue with my MBA today but that was at work where it was 28*C.

Ideas? SMC isn't fixing it, nor is a restart, and I'm not doing anything intensive.

EDIT: Got her, under all processes there was a print manager killing me, force quit and things are dropping already

Yea, I have had this printmgr issue myself. I am not sure why apple has not addressed this, and how there is really no way to know that it's running in the background unless you are monitoring temps and background process', which I suspect that the majority do not do regularly, if at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.