Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lindat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
I am wondering if anyone cleverer than I can help me with something. I spent hours and hours downloading about 83 long CD's covering the old and new testaments of the bible to listen to in my car. (I made an error in buying these - I should have purchased the MP3 tracks, but anyway, having made the error decided to live with it and just download everything). Anyway, after I did this, I had to go in to each book of the bible and number it, ie 1 genesis , 2 exodus etc. etc. just so that the bible appeared in the right order on my mp3 because it was all over the place. So this sorted itself out into the correct order. Then I noticed that if I wanted to play random music tracks, every other one was the bible and I didn't want this, I wanted to keep the bible separate. So then I went in and changed it in itunes again to be spoken word (I don't recall how I did this now!) but since then it has disappeared out of itunes altogether. There is a clear place for music, movies, tv shows, applications etc. etc. on itunes, but why is there not a section for Spoken Word as there is on your actual ipod? (Even on my ipod it does not show in that section though!) Where do all the spoken word things get stored? And how do I get them all back again? If I do a search on my whole computer to find Genesis for example, it is there in itunes under:
My documents/my music/itunes/itunesmusic/inspiredbymediagroup/thebible experience.
But I just can't see it in itunes! I am really hoping someone can help me to find them all, and get them all back in i-tunes after all my hard work. And if someone can tell me how I keep it all separate I would very much appreciate it. I really don't want to hear it in between music tracks on random. Thanks!
PS Just in case this makes any difference, because I'm no techy - the files are all showing as MPEG-4 Audio Files.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
In iTunes, if you go to the browser view (three columns on the top and then the big box of songs below) for the library, do you see a matching genre -- Spoken Word or Books & Spoken Word or whatever? If so, when you click it in browser view, do you find the songs?

Once you figure out how to see the songs in iTunes again, what I would do is use the checkboxes next to the tracks in browser view. When the box is unchecked, it should automatically be excluded from random play. You can highlight a group of tracks (i.e. all your Bible tracks) and click one of the boxes while holding Option (I'm pretty sure) to mass change all of them.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise? :p

But, if they're still on the computer, you've either done something which has hidden them within iTunes (ie: entered search criteria so they're filtered out).

Listen to r.j.s above about going into music > genres and Spoken Word.

If not, they're in your iTunes folder by the looks of it (home > music > iTunes > iTunes Music > artist folder)

Just drag that back into iTunes.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
After you find them - how about using the "audiobook" setting?

I have to manually set the CD's i import for the kids to this, but they then show up in the library this way and don't mix in my music.

Here is one i bought though - and how it was set up. Until i change the media kind it won't go into the audiobook sections.

Attachments

• Picture 86.png
    Picture 86.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Picture 87.png
    Picture 87.png
    60 KB · Views: 47

Lindat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Lost Bible Tracks

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply.
I went in to the third column for genre, as suggested, and there is indeed a books and spoken word genre there. And there are some tracks in there, but only the music tracks, which is really weird, not the actual bible verse sections. In between the readings there are appropriate music tracks and it has kept these in there. I really do not have a clue where else to look for them.
I have tried moving them back into itunes when I've found them doing a search, but this doesn't seem to move them either. I know for a fact that they are in itunes, as my search results show, but they are doing a very good job of hiding that's for sure!!:confused:

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
When you find them - you can do a "group" "get info" on them (shift click to select them, then right click) and then you can edit it as whole group. That might help put them in the correct spot in the library for you.

I"ve had some issues with Music Video's getting lost in a similar way myself.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
Right click just over the music listing area and click to put a check next to Date Added, then click on the new header to sort by date added and see if you see them now. I do this frequently when I add a bunch of new stuff, and have a song or two mis-labeled or somethign along those lines. Makes it easy to pick them out.

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Could it be...............................

(in best church lady voice) Satan?:D

Lindat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Yes, I guess it could be!!!
But he's not going to win this one!!
I've now managed to get most of the stuff in Audiobooks thanks to Tracey's help. But I'm missing large chunks for some reason so now need to search them out and finish the job.
What a huge task this has turned out to be.
Must have wasted hours!

Lindat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
CD with different artists

Hooray, it's finished!
Thank you everyone for all your tips!

Now, one more question - I know there must be an easy answer to this one.
If I have downloaded a CD, such as R&B Love Songs, they all have different artists, and so the CD splits up with about 30 different covers in coverflow. How do I keep it all together under one cover, yet still have the different artists listed? Thanks.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
How do I keep it all together under one cover, yet still have the different artists listed? Thanks.

Highlight all of the songs in the album, right click, and select 'Get Info', then change the 'Album Artist' category to 'Various Artists'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.