80 Pin SCSI Drives in Older Macs

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by bunnspecial, Nov 24, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

My department has been undergoing a massive cleaning lately, which has resulted in me bringing home a lot of goodies-some of which I've posted about lately.

Anyway, one of the labs being shut-down(PI died about a year ago) was a computational chem lab that was state of the art in roughly 2000. I gutted the hard drives and RAM out of a couple of 4x Pentium II workstations, and also brought home a tower with 2x Pentium IIIs and some other nice goodies.

In any case, I stopped in today and the guy in charge of moving everything out handed me a box and asked if I wanted it...tucked down in side of it were 8 carefully packed Seagate Cheetah 80-pin SCSI drives. Between these(new) drives and the ones I pulled from the workstations, I have a dozen of these drives lying around. Most of them are in the 8gb range.

I also have a couple of 68-pin drives from this same lab.

More than likely, I can probably snag a few more when the server rack gets broken down, although I don't know if they will be 68 pin or 80 pin.

Looking on Ebay, I see a couple of 80-pin to 50-pin adapters. Does anyone have any experience using these adapters in older Macs?

The fact these are 15-year old enterprise-class drives as opposed to 20-30 year old consumer grade drives is appealing to me.

2. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I'm using the 80 to 50 adapter on a 32GB cheetah drive in my beige G3. No problems at all. Had it plugged into the logicboard and now into a JackHammer pci card. Works well either way. As long as there is room for the adapter, there should be no problem.

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks! I'll head over to Ebay and pick up a couple. I just need to decide if I want to spend $6 and get then next week or $3 and wait for the slow boat from China.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yeah, they work fine with the adapter. I ran a 9 GB, 10,000 RPM SCA (80-pin native) Ultra-160 SCSI drive in my SE/30 for many years through an SCA-to-50-pin adapter