$800 2012 vs $694 2014

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by psymac, Oct 23, 2014.

1. psymac macrumors 6502

At the Apple store, selling 2012 2.3Ghz i7 four core for $699 (+ $41 tax), but can buy the 2014 2.6Ghz i5 dual core for $694 at MacMall (no tax), so total is $740 vs $694.

I'll get the ram to to 8GB later so maybe its $800 for 2012 vs $694 for 2014, doesn't look worth the extra $100 on paper, but hoping the resell value for the 2012 will be higher.

2. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I see it this way too. If you can decide on the amount of permanent memory upfront, the 2014 is the better deal and future-proofed as well.

3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

The 2014 is half as good, so it should only cost $400. Poor value.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

That is such a sad, short sighted view. The 2014 isn't half as good.

CPU is about 60% as good in heavily multi-threaded applications as the 2012. 2014 Mid-Mini wins in single threaded
    Win - 2012 - Caveat being this win is only if you use heavily multi-threaded applications

The HD5100 is roughly 80% faster as the HD4000. Even the HD5000 in the base is generally 40% faster than the HD4000.
    Win - 2014

So depending on your needs, the 2012 might be better, but for the majority the 2014 is a winner. I use my mid-2013 MBA as my main computer and never notice a need for more power for daily functions. Only if I am using VM's or Handbrake and for those I pass the work off to my Mini's. Most people buying Mini's probably aren't doing a lot of VMs (outside of 1 Windows VM in Fusion or Parallels) or Handbrake.

Here's a few other pros/cons -
    Pros -
    Dual Thunderbolt 2 in the 2014
    HDMI port that can do 4K @ 30hz
    Lower Power consumption
    PCIE SSD's

Cons -
    No firewire (although this is a legacy port now so I hesitate to even list it as a con)
    Can't use dual SATA drives anymore

5. fa8362 macrumors 65816

For 2014 cons, you left out that it is way overpriced, is slow, is a bad joke, is a poor value, has soldered RAM, is designed for people who don't know anything about computers, and lastly, is promoted by Apple apologists.

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

You provide no data to back up your "slow", "bad joke", "poor value"...

Please expound upon your great wisdom? So far you have provided no actual justification for your comments.

Benchmarks so far have shown that outside of CPU multi-threaded applications, it beats the mid-2012 in everything else: GPU, Single-threaded functions, disk access (PCIE SSD).

I picked up a 2012 refurb as soon as the 2014's were announced because I do need more than two cores. However, I am really considering adding a 2014 to act as my front end computer due to the ability to drive dual 1440P monitors (my 2012's can't) and the super fast PCIE SSD's. As I stated, my MBA is more than fast enough for 95% of the stuff I do, so why wouldn't a Mid-Mini that has a better GPU and faster CPU be better than what I do on a day-to-day basis. I'll hand off all of my VM's to my 2012's and use compressor with it's distributed encoding using my 2014 as the front end and the 2012's as the true "grunt"....

The biggest downside is the soldered RAM. That is a total bummer. However, I've only got 8GB in my MBA and that has been shown to be more than plenty even when running a VM in Fusion.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

He doesn't need to, it's common sense.

8. excommie macrumors regular

Refurbs 2.3 i7 minis are $589 at apple store. I just got mine, it seems brand new. You just need to be patient, and get one as soon as they're in stock. Sign up for alerts on https://www.refurb.me/

9. cinealta macrumors 6502

Just picked one up for $589 at the Apple refurb store.

10. crazzapple Guest

$589 quad core i7 mini is a smoking deal compared to the 2014 $699 dual. Congrats to everyone getting the last real mini.

11. starfoxx macrumors newbie

Yea, except now one has to purchase a RAM upgrade and an SSD plus they have no choice but to deal with the crap HD4000 graphics and gimped wifi.

Let's face it: both the 2012 and 2014 machines are underwhelming and one is best off waiting for the next refresh.

12. MikeyMike01 macrumors 6502

I like how someone posts a well written and thought out post and the response is this pile of ****:

13. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Common sense what?!?! Why is it everyone keeps saying it's ***** but all the benchmarks basically say otherwise? The ONLY place the new Mini's lose to the old is in Multi-threaded benchmarks. Pair that with the fact that it has soldered RAM are the only real disadvantages. I don't get it. The only thing people keep saying is that they are *****. Well heck in that case the 2012's were ***** because they didn't offer a discrete GPU like the 2011's.... And the 2011's were ***** because Apple didn't release them with USB 3.0...

Can everyone just keep in perspective that with every new Mini, everyone on these boards complains about something missing....

The Mini is never going to be everything to everyone. With every release there are people who just complain to complain. At some point we have to realize that the Mini is a consumer computer. That's it.

14. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Above comment is fairly mindless. Your 2012/2014 analysis is spot on.

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for taking the time to share your views on both the 2012 and 2014 mini. i personally was excited about the mini being updated, as i like the 2012 mini, but wanted 4k support, and maybe a speed bump. instead, with no user upgradeable ram and no i7, i was very disappointed.

but considering the price, and some of the other things that you've mentioned, maybe the 2014 mini isn't so bad. it's not as good as it could and should be though.

16. Minicube macrumors regular

"it's not as good as it could and should be though."

Exactly. Why does Apple (which pretends to be green) insist on making throwaway computers? Is it really cutting so much into their profits that they can't make RAM upgradeable anymore? Sad, and I'm a stockholder.

17. Tough Guy macrumors regular

The number of apologists in this thread is baffling.

Must be 2014 owners who are trying to justify their terrible purchase decision.

The 2014 mini is a gimped disaster. Full stop.

18. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

That's one opinion.

19. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Hmm, make it two.

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

I picked up one of the last 2012 quadcores for €630 yesterday and I plan on selling my two year old 2012 base dual core for €380. The quadcore is still unwrapped and I am on the fence about what to do.

Keep my old i5, or pay the €250 difference to either keep the quad or exchange it for a mid range 2014 one.

My usage is Lightroom, Photoshop, standard stuff like word and webdesign, imovie, da vinci resolve and lots of safari streaming. The mini acts as a media center, too so it streams about 5 hours per day.

I like the idea of getting a new machine with apple care, but I am not sure if I would profit more from the quadcore or gpu. will the quadcore cause heat problems with lots of streaming?
    with the 2014 mini I'd get the 8gb ram onboard thrown in, but it's none upgradable.
    and are there pcie ssd upgrade out yet for the 2014 mini?

good replys are appreciated :)

21. SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

I like the 2012 quad core. I usually don't hear the fan spinning up and mine hasn't had any heat issues. I haven't had any problems with the HD4000 GPU. Unless you have some GPU specific need it shouldn't be the deciding factor. For improved performance upgrade the quad core to 16GB RAM and upgrade to SSD later if you want. The quad core can handle multiple threaded tasks very well. I ended up keeping my 2011 i5 dual core base model as a backup system. You might also want to consider keeping your upgradeable dual core i5 model for streaming.

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

Thx for the reply. I am aware of the ssd benefits. But can the 2014 one be upgraded with a pcie ssd? how common are they? i don't think I'll need 16gb ram in the minis lifetime, but it's nice to have the option.
    i have several macs at home and i am not sure what the advantage of keeping two minis around would be. why do you think i should keep my duacore?
    do you think i would profit more from the iris gpu or quadcore with my usage?

i realy hate apple for making it so hard to decide between a two year old computer and. current one.

23. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It is a BTO option, but whether you can take the HDD model and upgrade is unconfirmed, as far as I have read.

ifixit - step 8
    Some companies make 3rd party PCIe blade upgrades available and sometimes you can even find the Apple (Samsung) ones on eBay - check out the Mac Pro section of this site.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1685821&page=15

You would have to make sure that you buy the correct model for the Mini, so I would wait for some confirmation of this via iFixit and other sources before making the purchase.

24. SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

I am not sure about the 2014 model's hard drive upgradeability but upgrading the 2012 models is common. Just be careful doing any hard drive upgrades since mistakes can be made that could damage the hardware. There are hard drive upgrade kits and videos available to help avoid problems.

I don't think you should necessarily keep your dual core Mini. I am just wondering whether you will be getting much money from selling it used compared to the value of keeping it as a backup Mini.

Regardless of what you decide to do with your dual core Mini... I would lean towards keeping the quad core Mini. It's a good solid upgradeable Mini to own. It will be interesting to see if Apple releases a quad core design as a Broadwell based Mini in another year or so. At that time we will probably see more options from the Mini lineup.

25. Meister Suspended

Meister

I already have a buyer for my dual core. 380€ for a 2 year old mini is reasonable. I bought the last quadcore in the apple store i went to and all other stores are sold out. folks are running for the 2012 quadcores now. what apps would actually benefit from the iris graphics?