802.11.n

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stanton119, Oct 7, 2007.

1. stanton119 macrumors newbie

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I don't believe that Apple makes any computers with those slots.

3. stanton119 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a old powerbook g4, 667mhz. It has a card slot on the side. As far as im aware only the g3, and g4 powerbooks do, and no other macs do.

4. stanton119 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to let you all know, Ive ordered the edimax, it should arrive soon, so ill report back then.

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I don't think it will work with your Mac laptop. A Wifi card only works inside a Mac laptop (under the keyboard), not on the port on the side. I tried it with another Apple WiFi card and it didn't succeed.

6. stanton119 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just found this on the net from here http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/802_11N_Mac_reports.html

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The Edimax is offered on OWC as Mac compatible. The only thing about those is, they are 2.4GHz only so you don't get the advantages of Wireless N at 5GHz (although most wireless N routers don't support 5GHz either, but the AEBS does)

8. stanton119 thread starter macrumors newbie

I now have the card installed. It works, but I have an issue with a WEP password. Im using my iMac G5 with internet sharing via airport for the wireless network. It is set up with a WEP 40-bit password. When you click connect it comes up with the attached screen. The two options are HEX and ACSII. Im not sure what to put here. I have typed in a 5-character password in internet sharing, and the same in ACSII on the laptop but it doesnt connect.

Attached Files:

9. fjwelte macrumors newbie

Did you ever get this to work? I just received an Edimax EW-7708pn PCMCIA (cardbus) card and am having a similar problem.

For the password, you should probably enter ASCII, unless you know the HEX equivalent. I'm trying to connect to an 802.11n network with WPA security and get a similar problem. The Ralink utility sees the network, but won't seem to connect. I can connect to the same network with the built-in Airport wireless, but only at 802.11g speeds.

Info: Powerbook G4 (1.5GHz) 17", D-Link DIR-655 802.11n router (1.10 firmware), Edimax EW-7708Pn PCMCIA/Cardbus adapter.

-FJW

10. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

You might want to PM the user, this thread is a bit old.

11. stanton119 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did indeed. I had to change 'open' to 'shared' then put in HEX equivalent password. Although after that, I got more problems concerning self assigned ip addresses, I sorted that out, but its not 100% flawless.

Im not sure if the same solution would work for you, as I believe WPA is another setting under 'shared'. I basically just tried every setting until it worked if that helps.