802.11 wlan adapter on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by midniter, May 30, 2014.

1. midniter, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014

midniter macrumors regular

midniter

Consider me a computer noob here :p Esp when it comes to hardware stuff.

I am having problem getting wifi bars in my room upstairs. I am getting 2 out of 5 bars, while my cable modem is downstairs. I know there is something called a booster that plugs into the wall socket and maybe provides a signal bounce. I saw some on amazon.

I found a 802.11 wlan USB thing from Trendnet lying around. I actually have no idea what this thing is or what it does.
    I inserted it into the MBP and in the Device mgr it is showing as :-
    - ? Other devices
    -------- ? 802.11 n wlan

My question is :-
    Inserting it into the USB port of the macbook pro and installing its driver. What will this do ?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

It would replace or be an alternative wireless connection but it will likely be no different or faster than the built-in wireless in the MBP.

If your problem is weak WiFi signal from the cable modem then that is what you have to address with a signal repeater or by using a more powerful wireless access point attached to the cable modem by an ethernet cable.

3. midniter thread starter macrumors regular

midniter

Out of curiosity the 802.11 n WLAN is an older technology than the wifi adapter built in to the MBP ? or in nowadays laptops. So what would we call the built in device ? Is there a different name for it ?

Also.....

1. Is it possible for desktops to connect via Wifi ?
    2. Is it possible for desktops to connect via Wifi using this 802.11 n WLAN USB device ?

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Depends what MBP model/year you are talking about, my Early-2011 is "n", the USB adapter you have is "n" so are essentially the same.

1. Yes you can connect desktops via WiFi
    2. Yes you can use that adapter if the desktop has a free USB port and there is a suitable driver.

5. midniter thread starter macrumors regular

midniter

I guess I need to invest in a "powerful wireless access point " inserted into the cable modem or a signal Bouncer/repeater device like half way between the cable modem and my laptop.

Thank you so much for your reply. You have cleared out some confusion.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I have a problem with WiFi range in my house, I have tried a couple of the extender options (Netgear and another), not great success so I think I will have to go with a more powerful Wireless output router or a dedicated wireless access point to up the range....

7. midniter thread starter macrumors regular

midniter

The WRTG something Linksys Router blue colored one ... ( and I am just guessing this becuse Im not home to give you exact model of this cable modem/ router )

So this Linksys cable modem is not powerful enough ? I need to get a stronger router that broadcasts a stronger signal ?

But as I understand I can attach 'powerful wireless access point " behind the cable modem itself ? to boost its signal ?

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Yours is a cable modem so your options to replace it may be more limited, a separate wireless access point cabled to one of the cable modem ethernet ports may be the way to go but I'm not familiar with what you have.

9. midniter thread starter macrumors regular

midniter

Oh that explains why I get 4/5 bars when my brother in the next room (upstairs) has his laptop on. lolx

His laptop is acting as a "wireless access point"

I do understand what you are saying though. An ethernet cable from the back of the Cable modem extending to a physical device ( Access point) placed somewhere in between the cable modem and my laptop would repeat the signal and help me boost up my wifi bars.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Most cable modems that come with a Wi-Fi router option are pretty poor wireless routers.

Buy a decent router and plug it into the back of your modem, and have that broadcast the signal, you'll get much better coverage, even if the wireless router is in the same room your modem is.

11. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Are you sure its a modem? WRT54G, the standard router is not a modem. New routers have somewhat improved range and newer tech, so you are right, a new one would be good.

12. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

If I understand your question, the newer devices are 802.11ac

Barney