Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helpmefive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Hi If someone here could help me I'd be chuffed.

I've got a 2006 mac mini. I've just moved house and am trying to get it to see the local network. My ancient ibook can see the network but my mac mini can't.

The network doesn't come up at all whereas I can see 5-6 with the ibook.

Does the 802.11a/b/g have something to do with it? I'm really stuck :(

Thanks

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
I have set up an identical Mini. The wireless reception on it is terrible. I've literally nudged the computer along the desk until I miraculously found the Wi-Fi signal.

I solved it with an ethernet cable. There are external antennas that you can attach, but they involve $100, opening the mini, and using a dremel to make a hole for the wire.

helpmefive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I'll try the nudging, I'm a complete technical looser, so thanks for the simple tip!

Annoying that the old ibook is working so easily.....

: )

Just to check - the 802.11a/b/g definitely should work? I read somewhere that unless it's a/b/g/n I might have a problem?

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
The 2006 Mac mini support 802.11b/g only, as I recall. The range for ours was terrible. With an older Airport 802.11b base station one floor down (almost exactly underneath, probably twelve feet down) I had unreliable connectivity. To be fair, "down" is not the preferred direction of wireless access points.

I know having your router higher is generally better, so the range should be better than that. The house I am in is old and seems to soak up wireless signals (we actually have three wireless routers on three frequencies to cover 90% of the house) so it's hard to say what range you should expect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.