802.11a found... no bluetooth yet.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Victor ch, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Hi,

Apparently there is 802.11a in the touch...no bluetooth still according to guys at ifixit.com. 802.11a is the slow old one right, the first wireless draft??
    Link

-Victor

2. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

yes that is the old, slow one. . .makes me sad

3. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

Not actually slow, just a shorter range. It uses a 5Ghz frequency instead of the 2.4Ghz one.

4. frosse macrumors 6502a

5. Matteh117 macrumors regular

According to them it has A/B/G, and according to Apple is has B/G...

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since it's rare for chipsets to have those three, it would seem that it's possibly an 802.11n variant chipset.

7. frosse macrumors 6502a

Well A+B+G ≠N ? :confused:

8. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

Not that rare, the first Intel Macs had an A/B/G chipset, I believe.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There were a number of fairly common A/B/G chipsets in use in the Windows world, back in the day, IIRC... Dell and IBM/Thinkpad definitely offered A/B/G wireless a 1-2 years before 802.11n draft devices started popping up.

However, at this point it does seem odd to go to the trouble of having a 5GHz capable antenna and no 802.11n, as 802.11a is pretty much dead now.

10. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The article did state that there were a few Apple branded chips that they couldn't identify, so who knows what lies under the hood.

I'm sure they didn't release it as fully functional, as Apple usually has a product rollout plan.

Half the fun is guessing what's next!

11. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

802.11Y is supposed to come out in march 2008 and be twice as fast as anything out now..

I am waiting for that seeing as how N is not that much faster than G..

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah... I guess 802.11n is nice, and if I were buying new computer hardware, I would quite happily set up an N network at this point. Having already invested in a number of b/g devices (well, my only 'b' device right now is my DS Lite, and its WiFi is not working at this point... :( ), I don't see a lot of reason to go out and upgrade away from 802.11g. My AEBS has been rock solid for four years now, and I'm content to ride it out for a couple more. :)

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, it's not exactly finished but reliability should be more important than speed. Still, you don't see 3 antennas/aerials on any Apple equipment, do you?

14. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

it doesn't have n if it had n apple would definitely want to advertise it.

15. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

I don't see any antennas on any Apple equipment :)

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't know about the Intel-era notebooks, but I'm pretty sure the iBook and Aluminum Powerbook both have two antennas in their harnesses...

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As they did with the Core 2 Duo machines?

That's how they get that wonderful reliability. :D

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How many Antennae do the MB and MBP have, then? :confused:

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't know, but I seem to remember that Apple changed the configuration as you were saying, with the switch to the Alumi PowerBooks but it was not MIMO-related.

What I'm saying is that Apple hide the antennae/aerials to feed their aesthetic needs while causing poorer performance than those other brands with their visible parts.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahh, okay, okay. The iBook is at or above the mean, I think, though, for computers from its generation. I wonder if it's the antennas on the PB/MBP or if its the metal enclosures....

21. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Not on my computers, but what is this weird black thing on the back of my shiny new iPod touch..

- apologies if this doesn't make sense/has spelling errors/grammar errors/ect, under the influence of medication..i love sudafed.

22. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure the Intel ones do as well (if I recall, the Airport Extreme cards from the Core Duo MacBooks and MacBook Pros could be swapped out for the newer ones from the Core 2 Duo machines (Core Duos were 802.11A/B/G, Core 2 Duos A/B/G/N), and there were two wires to connect to the cards.

My comment about the antennas was more that you don't normally see them at all.. :)

23. bogman12 macrumors regular

who cares!?

Why do you care about having a fast wireless connection? Even with the "old n' slow" 802.11a spec, it is still faster than the broadband speed you have at home.

The only thing where a faster 802.11n would come in is if your iPod Touch is able to share files with other devices on your local wireless network.

24. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

im just worried about the range of the touch. i don't want to have to be 2 feet from the router in order to use wifi

25. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Don't worry about that, as long as you have a "good" internet connection the iPt is great and really surprisingly fast.

At home w/ my linksys router I am able to go just about anywhere in my house and even most of my yard, give that it is not too big. But at school where my iMac is basically my router i get an "okay" connection..Fast at times slow at others.

So as long as say you have a normal set up you should be fine :p