Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
http://www.macuser.com/hardware/even_more_80211_goodness.php

claims that "A rather under-publicized feature of the new Intel Macs is that their wireless cards will be 802.11a capable. 802.11a never really became a common standard for consumer networking hardware, but some corporations adopted the standard."

Apple's website says nothing of 802.11a, but the post sound quite certain. Does anybody have any info one way or another?

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I still have my Netgear 11a access point in a drawer; it sounds like it may not be quite obsolete yet.

robo74

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
Rockford, IL
maclive article

Something similar was posted there.
I wonder if the macbook that was used was a "special" macbook so they could do their thing without a mixup from the "g" AP's.
I guess we should know a answer soon.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
blueflame said:
do the centrinos have a,b,g?

The newest Centrino platform, Napa, dictates a, b and g... but that doesn't neccessarily mean that Apple have to use it. Centrino is just a marketing term after all, and I don't think Apple care about it.

Though if Apple have just gone with the standard Intel wireless chip, then I guess it'll have support for all three.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.