802.11ac Airport a possibility in 2013?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Panini, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Panini macrumors regular

Many companies are already doing it and it looks like Apple will have to jump on at some point. When do you predict the 802.11ac airport stations will be released (if ever)?

And I'm just curious as to what advantages 802.11ac really offers, if anyone can go into detail about that...

2. laxman101 macrumors regular

I would assume that by the end of 2013 there will be 802.11ac airport routers. When the 802.11ac chips start showing up in apple computers I fell that they will release the routers.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Beam Forming and Wide Channels.

I can't wait...well I can. I think all the 2013 Apple products will
    support 11ac.

4. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Agreed. 802.11ac should roll out next year with updates in all the wireless products.

5. boed macrumors newbie

I hope they come out very soon. I'd love to bridge one from my cable modem to my BR player. I need 802.11ac for more bandwidth as I stream from my PC and 1080p DTS requires more bandwidth than my BR player included wireless supports.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

7. macleod199 macrumors 6502

Neat. Although keep in mind that often having older network devices sharing the same network can slow everything down - you may have some painful mass upgrading to do.

8. boed macrumors newbie

The only painful part is the cost. I'll put an 802.11ac extreme at my PC and two 802.11ac expresses on my bedroom and living room HT system and bridge them. I'll be finally able to stream 1080p lossless audio to my HT systems and even fastfoward and rewind without much stutter. That is of course if Apple actually releases an 802.11ac before the end of this year, otherwise I'll probably go Asus.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm not expecting an 11ac Airport Router until next summer. I imagine that in January we'll see second generation 11ac hardware announced that Apple will jump on.

10. signalpst macrumors newbie

I'd really like a new Airport Extreme with video Airplay built-in via HDMI, much like how the current gen Airport Express has audio-only Airplay via 3.5mm minijack.

It'll be an awesome device to carry for portable keynote/powerpoint presentations instead of having to carrying an Apple TV and an Airport Express.

You'll probably get better latency and bandwidth too.
    Macbook --> Airport Extreme w/ video Airplay --> HDMI --> Projector
    vs.
    Macbook --> Airport Extreme --> Apple TV --> HDMI --> Projector

If somebody could pass this note to Apple, that'll be great. Oh, and be sure to credit me for this idea. :D

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Although it will mean replacing my TC and my AE, I think I'd take the plunge...When it's ratified in 2013, reported speeds are said to be a huge leap forward....I guess a 3TB TC would still be worth a little money, even if it's running the older standard.